Cornelia Ida woman, 65, stabbed to death

The body of an elderly woman was on Monday morning discovered in her Cornelia Ida Squatting Area, West Coast Demerara (WCD) home with several stab wounds and it is believed that she was sexually assaulted prior to her death.

Bibi Keneiz, 65, a mother of three and who resided alone in a small shack made out of zinc in Cornelia Ida Squatting Area, WCD was stabbed 11 times about her body.

She was last seen alive on Sunday around 5.30 pm. When she was found dead by her only son, Dennis (only name given), she wasnude from the waist down.

Dead: Bibi Keneiz
Dead: Bibi Keneiz
The shack in which Bibi Keneiz resided and where the incident occured
The shack in which Bibi Keneiz resided and where the incident occured

While relatives believe that robbery was the motive, this newspaper this newspaper was informed by a senior police official that an investigation has been launched and two persons have since been arrested for questioning. The police are, however, awaiting the results of a post-mortem examination to determine Keneiz’s cause of death.

When Stabroek News visited yesterday, the dead woman’s two daughters were cleaning the house, which is near a seawall and surrounded by tall grass.

One of them, Seema Ferreira said that she and her mother shared a closer relationship than the other siblings. She explained that she lives one village away and Keneiz would usually visit her home. She last did so on Thursday and they shared a meal and conversation.

The weeping Ferreira said she received a call around 11 am on Monday from her sister-in-law who informed her of what had transpired. She said she immediately rushed to the house where she saw her mother’s lifeless body in a hammock. Her mouth was stuffed with cloth and she had bled profusely.

Ferreira related that someone had broken into her mother’s home some time ago and attempted to sexually assault her but she managed to escape. “I myself did take her to the police and made a report and the police did take my number and they never called me back,” she said.

She further related that her mother suffered from high blood pressure and had “nerves problem” since her other son had fallen ill and subsequently died.

One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said she had known Keneiz for a number of years. “She was a very quiet and friendly person,” the neighbour said. She explained that she last saw Keneiz on Sunday afternoon while she was showering and later saw her enter her house.

The neighbour said she heard no strange sounds on Sunday evening or Monday morning, which would have indicated that something was amiss.

Around the Web