A fire suspected to be of electrical origin gutted the two-storey, three bedroom home of a Corentyne family on Wednesday around 08:30 pm.
The family of five is now homeless and contemplating their next move.
During an interview with Stabroek News, the family vented their frustration and disappointment at the fire service, as according to them, their kitchen containing most of their items could have been saved if the fire truck had an adequate supply of water.
Seokumarie Dauroop, also known as ‘Lynette’, 58, of Lot 2 Number 69 Village, Corentyne told Stabroek News that they were in their hammock when they saw smoke emanating from a crack in the flooring. Dauroop explained that her son who was visiting at the time, after seeing the smoke, started to yell, “Fire, fire!” “He run go upstairs with two buckets of water but that couldn’t a do nothing. The fire come from the middle room where the main switch and the fuse box deh. By the time we go up the fire done spread all over we couldn’t do nothing,” she said. According to Dauroop, the fire service was immediately summoned and arrived some thirty minutes later. “When them come them nah had water, them a look for water, them go suh come back, spray, then go come back. Them could a save the kitchen with me things them if them did had water.”
Dauroop’s eyes watered as she explained that she along with her husband worked tirelessly over the years to acquire everything that was lost in the fire. She stated that although she was renting the house, she had all the necessary household items.
A neighbour has temporarily taken in Dauroop along with her 63 year old husband, her 19-year old daughter and her two grandsons, ages two and four. During Stabroek News’ visit, neighbours were seen donating clothing and other items to the family. Meanwhile, the family took the opportunity to call on the general public for assistance as they are still at a loss as to what their next move is. Anyone desirous of making a donation can contact 338-4227 or 622-8348.