14-year-old among two charged with killing Mahaicony businesswoman

A 14-year-old was one of the two persons yesterday read a murder charge for the murder of Mahaicony businesswoman Bibi Shairoon Nesha Ali.

“Why you kill our mother?” weeping relatives of the slain businesswoman shouted at Davanand Rampersaud, 24, of Good Faith, Mahaicony and the teen, also of Mahaicony, as the police were escorting them up the stairs at the Better Hope Community Centre, where the joint charge of murder was read against them.

The arraignment, which was presided over by Magistrate Zamilla Ally-Seepaul, was held in-camera due to the age of the teen.

According to the charge that was read to Rampersaud and the teen, on October 17, at Lot 4 Novar, Mahaicony, East Coast Demerara, they together murdered Ali. They were both unrepresented but were not required to plead to the indictable charge.

 Bibi Shairoon Nesha Ali
Bibi Shairoon Nesha Ali
Davanand Rampersaud
Davanand Rampersaud

Police Prosecutor Hattie Anthony addressed the court on the evidence that linked Rampersaud and the juvenile to the crime.

The magistrate subsequently remanded Rampersaud to prison, while the juvenile was sent to a holding centre. The case was adjourned to November 14, when it will be called at the Mahaicony Magistrate’s Court.

After the arraignment, as the duo was escorted to a temporary holding cell at the Community Centre, the teen began to cry out for his mother. He asked for one of the deceased’s relatives to contact his mother so that she could bring food for him.

With tears rolling down his face, the teen, who has a petite build similar to that of a Primary school-level child, had a brief argument with his accomplice at the back of the police van that transported them to the court.

Meanwhile, the relatives of Ali, who were also in tears, were comforted by each other and occasionally by some concerned police officers.

The body of Ali, 56, a mother of three who resided alone at Lot 4 Novar, Mahaicony, East Coast Demerara, was found on the floor of her bedroom around 6.30 am last week Monday.

The discovery was made when a check was made for the woman after neighbours reported that she had not been seen since the previous Saturday.

Following the discovery, the police arrested the 14-year-old boy after information revealed that he and Ali had an argument a few days prior to the discovery of her body.

His arrest was followed by that of the 24-year-old, who had been seen in the company of the minor.

Relatives believe Ali was killed between the night of October 15 and the morning of October 16, since her body was already in an advanced state of decomposition when it was discovered on October 17.

Around the Web