Ex-cop jailed over gun, ammo found after high speed car chase

- trio accused of million-dollar robbery

Ex-policeman Devon Chase was yesterday sentenced to two years in jail for possession of a pistol and ammunition that he and two other men were found with following last Monday’s high speed car chase with police in the city.

Chase, 30, of  Lot 26 Hill Street, Albouystown, Frederick Boyce, 32, of Melanie Public Road, East Coast Demerara, and Eloy Livan, 28, of 47 Brickdam, Georgetown, were yesterday also jointly charged with a $1 million armed robbery. Boyce was also separately charged with the theft of over $1 million, while Livan was separately charged over a false licence plate that was found on the vehicle in which the men had made a failed bid to elude police.

The men were apprehended after they drove off the road and into a trench while fleeing from police.

Devon Chase
Devon Chase
 Eloy Livan
Eloy Livan

The Georgetown court of Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan heard that the three men on November 14, at Lamaha and Republic streets, Georgetown, had in their possession, a 9mm Taurus pistol and 12 rounds of 9mm ammunition. Chase pleaded guilty to the two charges, while Boyce and Livan pleaded not guilty.

Police Prosecutor Neville Jeffers told the court that around 11.30 am, the police received information that some men in a car were about to go and commit a crime. He said that soon after a heavily-tinted car, matching the description given, was seen. He said the driver of the car, on seeing the police, accelerated and eventually led them on a high-speed chase. He said that the chase ended when the car transporting the three men ended up in a trench at Lamaha and Republic streets.

Jeffers added that the men came out of the car and were apprehended by the police. He said a search was conducted on them and the car. Jeffers said the gun and the ammunition were found in their possession.

However, Chase, said to have been a part of the police force’s Tactical Service Unit for almost five years, accepted responsibility for the gun and ammunition. As a result, the Chief Magistrate sentenced him to two years in prison and a fine of $30,000 for each charge. The magistrate noted that the sentences will run concurrently.

Meanwhile, the court also heard that on November 3, 2016, at Eccles Public Road, East Bank Demerara, the three men, armed with a gun, robbed Alvin Ramnarine of $1 million. However, they all denied the charge.

Frederick Boyce
Frederick Boyce

In addition to the other charges, Boyce was also charged with stealing $1,058,321, from Sasenarine Sankar on October 25, 2016, at Cotton Tree Village, West Coast Demerara. He pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Like Boyce, Livan also pleaded not guilty to his separate charge, which stated that he fraudulently imitated an identification mark HB 7412 on a registered motor car with number plates HC 7294.

Prosecutor Jeffers objected to bail, while citing the prevalence of the offences and the fact that a firearm was used in one of the crimes. He also reminded the court that Boyce has previous convictions.

The chief magistrate remanded the trio to prison. Their matters will be recalled on December 13.


Around the Web