Baby dies, mother critical after emergency C-section

Yesterday, Guyana recorded its first infant mortality for the month of June when a 36-year-old mother lost her seventh child after an emergency C-Section.

Speaking with Stabroek News, Minister of Public Health Dr. George Norton explained that the mother had been scheduled for a clinic visit on Monday but complained of abdominal pain early yesterday morning.  “When she began complaining of pain her relatives prepared to take her to the Mahaica hospital. Before she could be admitted she lost consciousness and a decision was taken to transfer her to GPHC where she was diagnosed with Placental Abruption. An emergency C-Section was conducted but it was too late to save the child,” Norton said. He noted that the mother is presently critical in the ICU.

Last month two infants died within one week in similar circumstances.

A 21-year-old mother of three barely survived her fourth pregnancy after she suffered a ruptured uterus and began bleeding profusely. The mother survived after undergoing an emergency C-Section but the infant succumbed three days later in the Intensive Care Unit of the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC).

The second mortality was that of a baby born to a 17-year-old who was left “brain dead” in the GPHC Intensive Care Unit after complications from a pre-existing condition forced doctors to perform a C-Section 23 weeks into her pregnancy. The teen has since passed away.

According to Norton, last month’s deaths were unavoidable as both babies were in foetal distress before their delivery.  He noted that the same was true for the infant who died yesterday. Placental abruption has been noted to have positive results for the infant only in cases of early and skilled medical intervention.

Last month, Norton stressed that while both maternal and infant deaths continue to be recorded, the country is doing much better.

“We are doing much better. Infant mortality was once as much 40 for one month but now at the higher scale our average is 10,” he had said.

His observations are supported by the PAHO/WHO Health@50 in Guyana: Progress Health Report, which notes that according to national data infant mortality has decreased from 60 per 1,000 live births in 1963 to a low of 10.8 live births per 1,000 in 2009. This, however, increased to 23.3 per 1,000 live births at the end of 2014. It further notes that the increase was related to an increase in neonatal infections for which control measures were implemented.

Norton also stressed that the ministry continues to invest in neonatal units and trained neonatal staff to address the issue of infant mortality.

Comments  

Charlestown shop owner shot during altercation

The police say they are investigating a shooting incident which occurred about 11:20 am today at Leopold and Breda streets, Charlestown during which shop owner, Jacqueline Lagnah, 55, of 83 Leopold and Breda streets, sustained two suspected gunshot injuries to her lower back.

Wave of looting shutters stores, spreads fear in Venezuela

CARACAS/SAN CRISTOBAL, Venezuela,  (Reuters) – A wave of looting by hungry mobs across Venezuela has left streets of shuttered shops in provincial towns and pushed some store owners to arm themselves with guns and machetes, stirring fear that the turmoil could spread to the capital Caracas.

NY man gets 41 years for killing Guyanese girl

Taariq Stephens (New York Daily News photo) A Brooklyn man got a 41-year maximum prison sentence yesterday for killing a 16-year-old Guyanese girl who authorities said rejected his advances.

Debutant Ngidi leads South Africa to series victory v India

PRETORIA,  (Reuters) – Debutant Lungi Ngidi took six wickets as South Africa defeated India by 135 runs to claim victory in the second test in Pretoria today and also win the series with an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match contest.

T&T judge grants injunction stopping highway project

(Trinidad Guardian) Environmental activist group Fishermen and Friends of the Sea (FFOS) has obtained an interim injunction barring the Government from continuing work on the first phase of the $400M Churchill Roosevelt Highway Extension to Manzanilla.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×