Deported former Windies pacer beaten, chopped, faced racial injustice in New Zealand

KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC- Former West Indies cricketer Franklyn Rose says he was hospitalized after a violent attack, battled racial injustice and was wrongfully deported from New Zealand where he visited for a coaching assignment about four years ago.

Franklyn Rose
Franklyn Rose

The former Windies pacer says he is disappointed in the New Zealand immigration system which deported him to Jamaica after he spent 38 days in prison.

Rose has recounted his experience in an interview via the West Indies Players Association (WIPA).

“I need to let people know what really happened. I am disappointed in the New Zealand immigration system. I am very disappointed,” Rose complained.

“I want people to understand my side of the story, to set the record straight.”

Rose was originally granted a work visa when he was offered a position as coach for the University of Auckland Cricket club, but has not had a valid visa since 2012.

He says he was attacked, beaten and chopped by four white men who used racial slurs while attempting to steal his car.

“They beat me down. One (guy) missed my head and chopped me on the hand,” said Rose, who was later admitted to the Intensive Care Unit at hospital for three days before being released.

“The nurses kicked me out; (they) said they needed to care for other patients. After a day my friend had to take me back to the hospital. I was having some serious pains. The doctors told me I had a blood clot in my lungs and I had nerve damage in my hand.”

Rose says he checked into a private hospital at a daily cost of US 1,500 before he was discharged a week later.

He says his health condition and medical treatment prevented him from returning to Jamaica and as such he was forced to stay in New Zealand for another two years while various health specialists helped with his recovery.

“I was prescribed very strong medication Warfarin. That’s a blood thinner,” he recalled.

“I also had internal bleeding in my brain; that meant more hospital fees and medication, and I was advised by the doctors that I could not travel by air.”

The former cricketer said although he reported the assault to the police, there was no related arrest.

He said he was questioned by law enforcement officers about his immigration status, provided them with medical documents and was asked to report to the police station once a week.

Rose disclosed that he was shocked when eight weeks ago; he was dragged out of his house at 6AM by police who told him he was under investigation for a rape incident.

“I was so confused. I know that it was a lie and they treated me like I was nothing. They threw me in prison for 10 days, among murderers, rapists and other convicts. It was crazy; I know I didn’t belong there,” said Rose, who was escorted to the back of a plane under high security for his deportation.

“I couldn’t get to use the shower. I couldn’t brush my teeth for 10 days and I didn’t even get my medication until after eight days of being locked up. I could have died in that cell. I was so depressed.”

Rose’s attorney is reportedly pursuing the matter.

Around the Web