Corbett fancying first class stint with Red Force

George Corbett

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – English left-arm seamer George Corbett says he is keen on playing for Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in the first class championship, after a spell in the domestic league here for Queen’s Park.

George Corbett
George Corbett

The 20-year-old, who plays for Leicestershire second XI back in England, said the experience here had left him desiring a taste of first class cricket in the Caribbean.

“I definitely want to play for the Red Force. It would be a fantastic chance to play with some great players in a great first class tournament that has lots of history and has produced some top international cricketers,” said Corbett, who has come through the academy at Grace Road and captained Leicestershire at every age level from under-9 to under-17s.

“I would love to play professional cricket anywhere. That has been a dream of mine so anywhere I would be able to play would be great.”

Corbett also turned out for Queen’s Park in the national Twenty20 Championship which wrapped up last weekend, taking eight wickets for the eventual winners.

He said the experience in Caribbean conditions had been one which had provided challenges and allowed him to grow as a cricketer.

“It’s been massive. It has been my first time away from home. Three months in a different country was a big culture difference just learning about my own game and having coming to a country not knowing anybody but learning about my game and myself and improving from there has been very good,” Corbett said.

“It’s so different from back home. The pitches [and] just the way cricket is played here is different. [It is] a lot more aggressive obviously with the flatter pitches and quicker outfields so it has been challenging as a bowler.

“The margin for error is so much smaller here so accuracy and building pressure is a lot harder out here so it has been a good experience and a challenge.”

Comments  

Edwards expects South American Youth Games team to do well

Hector Edwards, Secretary General of the Guyana Olympic Association (GOA) said last night that he expected the Guyana team to this year’s South American Youth Games in Chile to do well.

By ,

Old Trafford defeat sends Windies into World Cup qualifiers

MANCHESTER, England, CMC – West Indies’ dismal One-Day International form continued with a seven-wicket defeat to England in the critical opener at Old Trafford here yesterday, a result that condemned the Caribbean side to a 10-team qualifying tournament in order to reach the 2019 Cricket World Cup.

PMTC1, GTCPM1 win senior, junior divisions

Port Mourant Training Centre1 (PMTC1) and the GuySuCo Training Centre Port Mourant1 won the senior and junior divisions of the Berbice Volleyball Association in collaboration with Kendall Union Sports Club (KUSC) Mark Henriques Memorial volleyball tournament Sunday at the KUCS ground, Number 19, Corentyne, Berbice.

‘We let ourselves down’

MANCHESTER, England, CMC – Skipper Jason Holder said yesterday West Indies had let themselves down with “inconsistent” bowling after they lost the opening One-Day International of the five-match series by seven wickets to England.

Brathwaite fails on Yorkshire debut, Shiv nears 800 runs

LONDON, CMC – Little fireworks accompanied West Indies opener Kraigg Brathwaite’s English County debut yesterday as he failed on the opening day of Yorkshire’s penultimate match in Division One.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×