Elite League football…Buxton United edges Monedderlust 3-2

Buxton United goal scorers from left to right Rondell Assanah, Denver Dennis and Esan Hamer pose for the camera following their win over Monedderlust in the GFF Stag Beer Elite League at the Leonora Sports Facility.

Buxton United secured their third win in the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Stag Beer Elite League, edging 10-member Monedderlust FC by a 3-2 margin yesterday at the Leonora Sports Facility on the West Demerara.

Esan Hamer, Denver Dennis and Rondel Assanah scored for the East Coast of Demerara unit in the 21st, 32nd and 62nd minutes respectively. On the other side, Delbert Wilson and Akeema Watts scored in the 40th and 76th minutes correspondingly.

Receiving a red card in the 30th minute was goalkeeper Selwyn Jack. Due to the result, Buxton United move on to 11 points and strengthen their grip on the sixth spot while the Berbice unit remains in the seventh position on six points.

The contest started perfectly for the Buxtonians who snatched the lead through Hamer as he finished from the centre of the box past the custodian, after collecting a pass from the flank.

The Berbicians then suffered a numerical disadvantage as custodian Jack was sent off nine minutes later for fouling the forward just outside the area, in the process denying a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Stepping up to the resulting spot-kick was Dennis who unleashed a curling right foot effort into the back of the net, doubling his side’s lead and pushing the Berbicians further behind in the fixture.

However, inspite of their numerical handicap, Monedderlust pulled one back five minutes before the half time interval as Wilson upon latching onto a cross from Kevin Cottoy, stabbed his effort into the back of the net from inside the box.

Following the resumption of the contest, the Buxtonians restored their two-goal lead as Assanah netted, slotting past the right of the goalkeeper from inside the penalty area, after racing onto a through pass.

Not one to go down without a fight Monedderlust reduced the deficit once more with 14 minutes remaining as Watts pounced on a loose ball inside the box following miscommunication between the goalkeeper and his defensive line, before finishing into the net.

Nevertheless, Buxton United held on to their marginal lead to claim the hard-fought contest. Meanwhile up to press time, the encounter between Pele FC and Georgetown Football Club (GFC) was ongoing.


Around the Web