Cevons refutes claim by city official about restart of garbage disposal

Garbage disposal in the city

While there are signs that talks on the huge debt owed by the city to Puran Brothers and Cevons Waste Management have been bearing fruit, dissonance continues even as the garbage crisis in the capital may be worsening.

Earlier this week sections of the media published reports attributing to City Hall’s Solid Waste Disposal Head Walter Narine likely time lines for a return to garbage disposal duties by Puran’s and Cevons only for the latter to issue a short, sharp media release asserting that it had had no engagement with the Georgetown municipality on the matter of returning to garbage disposal duties in the capital.

Several months ago City Hall had publicly announced that it was dispensing with the services of the two companies after they had temporarily withdrawn from disposing of garbage in protest over their protracted failure to secure any meaningful response on the matter of the liquidation of the debts.

This week, Cevons Chief Executive Officer Morse Archer told Stabroek Business that the company had taken a decision to respond to what Mr. Narine had reportedly said because it did not want to get caught up in what would appear to be “playing games” with the citizens of Georgetown “on a matter as serious as the disposal of their garbage. “This is not a matter to be playing games over. We have said that we are committed to serving the capital but we believe that people must be clear at all times about the process, about what is going on.”

Media reports earlier this week have also suggested that Georgetown Mayor Patricia Chase-Green has also been raising alarm bells over what she sees as an emerging garbage disposal crisis in the capital. The Mayor is quoted in a section of the media earlier this week as declaring that she is prepared to engage the two private waste disposal entities on the matter of them resuming duties in the capital at the earliest possible time even though there is no sign of any negotiations between City Hall and the two companies.

By this week, however, signs were beginning to emerge of a likely resolution of the huge debt to the two companies in the form of a government bailout of a cash-strapped City Hall. However, while it is believed that engagements towards that end have been taking place, the Cevons Waste Management boss told Stabroek Business on Wednesday that he would offer no comments on such discussions as might be ongoing until the outcomes are clear.

Government, Stabroek Business understands, has taken “the practical step” to come to the rescue of City Hall in order to stave off what could escalate into an ugly garbage disposal crisis in the capital in circumstances where, given the anticipated significant increase in domestic refuse associated with Christmas, the situation could spiral out of control

 

Comments  

T&T rejects coconut water shipment from Guyana

The refusal by the Trinidad and Tobago food safety authorities to allow a shipment of coconut water from Guyana to be sold there on the grounds that it does not meet the requisite safety standard could engage the two CARICOM countries at government-to-government level even as the Government Analyst & Food & Drug Department (GAFDD) insists that tests carried out on the product here have given the coconut water a clean bill of Health.

Small Business Bureau CEO says project’s original jobs target overly ambitious

Chief Executive Officer of the Small Business Bureau (SBB) Dr. Lowell Porter is backing the potential of the agency to give a significant boost to the growth of a vibrant small business culture in Guyana, its challenges and limitations, up to this time notwithstanding.

`Some people seem to want scrap metal trade to go away’ – Association Secretary

As the local scrap metal industry awaits the ‘green light’ from government to resume the trade, Secretary of the Metal Dealers Association, Michael Benjamin  has told Stabroek Business in an exclusive interview that the feeling had surfaced in sections of the industry that there were people who simply wanted the business to go away.

Managing sugar’s remaining socio-political challenges

  Some measure of practical relief would have been brought to the laid off sugar workers, victims of the meltdown of the once all-powerful sugar industry though it is clear that the travails of both the government and the hapless former GuySuCo employees and their families are far from at an end.

Small businesses to fully tap 20% gov’t `goods and services’ contracts by end of 1st quarter

The provision of the Small Business Act of 2004 allowing for the allocation of 20% of government contracts to small businesses will be fully implemented by the end of the first quarter of 2017 though a pilot initiative designed to test the initiative will be rolled out by month end, Chief Executive Officer of the Small Business Bureau, Dr.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×