New Prince music release blocked by U.S. court

Prince

NEW YORK, (Reuters) – A U.S. judge has blocked a planned release of new Prince music on the first anniversary of his death this week.

The Minnesota district court on Wednesday issued a temporary injunction barring the release of the six-song EP “Deliverance” after Prince’s estate argued that the recordings breached a confidentiality agreement between Prince and his former sound engineer.

According to court documents, Judge Wilhelmina Wright also ordered engineer Ian Boxhill to hand over all “original recordings, analog and digital copies, and any derivative works” to Prince’s estate.

“Deliverance” was due to go on sale on Friday and would have marked the first in a series of planned posthumous releases of material by Prince from the huge vault of discarded or unfinished material he reportedly left behind after his death of an accidental drug overdose on April 21, 2016.

Independent record company Rogue Music Alliance (RMA) said earlier this week that the six songs were recorded by Prince between 2006 and 2008 and Boxill spent the last year completing, arranging and mixing the songs.

Representatives of RMA, Boxhill and Prince’s estate did not immediately return calls for comment on the temporary injunction.

The title track “Deliverance” was removed from music streaming services late on Wednesday but not before reaching the No.1 spot on the iTunes rock songs charts.

Prince died at age 57 of an overdose of the painkiller fentanyl.

The value of his musical legacy, including a cache of unreleased recordings, has been estimated by some to exceed $500 million when factoring in future royalties, retail sales and commercial rights.

 

Comments  

Taylor Swift wins groping trial against DJ, awarded symbolic $1

DENVER, (Reuters) – Taylor Swift won her trial against a Colorado radio personality yesterday after a jury found that the former DJ assaulted and battered the pop star by groping her bare bottom, and awarded her the symbolic $1 in damages she had sought.

Pahlaj Nihalani sacked as India’s censor board chief

(Reuters) The Indian government dismissed the controversial chief of its movie censorship panel on Friday, following months of criticism from Bollywood film-makers and fellow panelists angered by attempts to sanitise art and popular culture.

Downtown? Petula Clark goes Down Farm

CROPREDY, England,  (Reuters) – Grammy award-winner Petula Clark sang her global hit “Down-town” about as far from “where the neon signs are pretty” as she could at the weekend — to thousands in a field in rural England.

Bruce Springsteen Broadway-bound for solo ‘words and music’ show

(Reuters) – Bruce Springsteen is headed to Broadway for an eight-week solo theater run that he says will feature “just me, the guitar, the piano and the words and music.” “Springsteen on Broadway” will start Oct.

‘Deadpool’ star Ryan Reynolds ‘heartbroken’ over stuntwoman’s death

VANCOUVER,  (Reuters) – “Deadpool” star Ryan Reynolds said yesterday that actors and crew were “heartbroken, shocked and devastated” at the death of a driver in a motorcycle stunt in Vancouver that went wrong.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×