Man fined, other remanded over ganja possession

Two men, on separate charges of cannabis possession, met very different fates on Tuesday when they were brought before the Chief Magistrate.

Sherman Isaacs, 48, and Henry Conway, 53, were brought before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan, who read a total of three charges against them.

It is alleged that Isaacs, a handyman, on December 31, 2016, at Kwakwani Airstrip, Upper Berbice, had five grammes of cannabis in his possession. Isaacs, of Kwakwani Airstrip, pleaded guilty with explanation to the crime.

The court heard from the prosecution that on the day in question, the police, acting on information, went to the home of the defendant and carried out a search in the kitchen area.

While searching the said area, the drug was found on a table.

The court heard that the man admitted to the police that the drug belonged to him, resulting in him being charged.

Isaacs, when granted the opportunity, told the court that the reason he had the drugs was because there was a little sport with his friends at his home.

The Chief Magistrate later fined him $10,000 and ordered that he perform six weeks of community service at the Kwakwani Police Station or serve a default sentence of six months in jail.

Meanwhile, Conway, of Lot 62 Riverview, Linden was denied bail after he was read two counts of cannabis possession.

The first charge stated that on December 31, 2016, at Waterfront, Port Kaituma, he had 20 grammes of cannabis in his possession.

It is further alleged that on the same date at Main Road, Port Kaituma, he had in his possession 3.820 kilogrammes of cannabis for trafficking.

On the day of the finds, the prosecutor said the police observed Conway behaving in a suspicious manner, which resulted in a search of him.

During the search, a quantity of leaves, seeds and stems were found in a blue jacket he was wearing along with a key marked Blue Hotel.

The officers heard that the defendant was staying at the said hotel and a search conducted of his room there resulted in the discovery of more drugs.

Attorney Adrian Thompson appeared on behalf of the defendant and told the court that his client was innocent of both charges.

Conway was subsequently remanded to prison by the Chief Magistrate until February 7, when the matter will be heard at the Matthews Ridge Magistrate’s Court.

Around the Web