Canadian youth charged over cocaine found in suitcase

A young Canadian woman, who was allegedly caught with more than 4 kilogrammes of cocaine in her suitcase at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport Timehri (CJIA), was yesterday remanded to prison after she denied the charge of having the narcotics in her possession.

Anastasia Tisha La Rose, 19, of Lot 1 Replin Road, Toronto, Canada, pleaded not guilty to a charge that on January 24th, at the CJIA, she had in her possession 4.178 kilogrammes (equivalent to over 9 pounds) of cocaine for trafficking. The charge was read to her by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.

According to a police statement, ranks of the Narcotics Branch, stationed at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport, Timehri, arrested the female outgoing passenger, who was booked on a flight to Toronto, Canada. She was arrested after four parcels of what is suspected to be cocaine were found in her suitcase.

Attorneys Glenn Hanoman and Everton Singh-Lammy, who appeared on behalf of the accused, told the court that La Rose, who is a mother of one, lives in Canada and was here in Guyana to visit a female friend. She also has relatives here.

Anastasia Tisha La Rose

Hanoman said that since his client’s arrest, she has been in the custody of the Narcotics Branch at Police Headquarters, Eve Leary.

The lawyer told the court that La Rose suffers from an illness that affects her physically and mentally. He said that his client is a type of person who is easily exploited like in the current case, where she is the victim of unscrupulous persons. He added that he will try to obtain his client’s medical records for the next court appearance.

Police Prosecutor Deniro Jones objected to bail, while saying that the accused has no ties in Guyana and may flee.

He also reported that the drug analysis report is still outstanding in order to complete the police’s file.

Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan subsequently remanded the teen to prison. She also ordered that La Rose be examined by a psychiatrist based on Hanoman’s submissions. The matter was adjourned until February 3rd for a report.


Around the Web