Family demands justice for child killed at Tuschen

The family of four-year-old Ramkarran Mohan, who was struck down by a car at Tuschen over a week ago, is concerned that no charge has yet been laid against the driver.

Mohan, of 1008 Tuschen Housing Scheme, East Bank Essequibo had accompanied an older brother to purchase a ball to play cricket. They were returning home when the accident occurred.

According to Bibi Khan, the dead child’s grandmother, the family is upset at the manner in which the police are handling the case. Khan told this newspaper last night that the family decided to protest as they have not received any updates from the police.

“When we call the police they telling us they can’t give any information. We are the family we should be able to know what is happening with the investigation,” the grandmother lamented. She said they are also peeved that the driver of the Toyota Premio, PVV 5084, was reportedly released on $20,000 station bail.

“How can they do that? He was an angel not a person that did something bad. It was a child life. The bail should have been more… What if he migrate from the country? How we gone get justice?” she asked. The grieving woman lamented that the death of the child was a “big loss” to her family.

Police Commander of ‘D’ Division Leslie James told this publication last night that the file was sent to Traffic Chief Dion Moore for review after which it would be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions for advice.

Mohan and his brother were returning home from the shop in the company of an uncle around 11.30am, when the car drove by and came into contact with Mohan.

“My son had hold on to his hands, they were coming back from the shop right next to us, but the car come and hooked him out and he fell and the car drive over he and stopped a good distance away,” the grieving grandmother said to Stabroek News.

Mohan, this publication learnt, sustained a fractured skull and internal injuries.

The grandmother said the doctors at the hospital worked to save the child’s life and then transferred him to the West Demerara Regional Hospital, where he succumbed at 3.15pm.

Around the Web