Bid process for Sheriff St-Mandela Ave expansion halted as greenlight from IDB awaited

The opening of tenders for the Sheriff Street/Mandela Avenue Project (Lots 6-7) has been postponed, the Ministry of Public Infrastructure said yesterday, adding that it was awaiting a ‘no objection’ from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) for a revised scope of works.

The opening of bids had been slated for Tuesday last at the offices of the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board (NPTAB). The ministry said in a statement that the process was postponed and bidders have been informed of the postponement while the go-ahead is awaited.

The statement added that the project was revised following discussions with the Ministry of Finance, with the aim of achieving completion before the loan deadline set out by the IDB. Initially, Loan-2741 was signed in 2012 to the tune of US$66 million, with a deadline of March 2018.

The revised scope of works, anticipated to cost US$35 million, will include relocation of utilities, and the Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company and the Guyana Water Incorporated have been contracted for this aspect. The statement said the revised works will also include a pedestrian crossing, milling and new overlay of the surface and repairs to bridges and structures.

It was noted that these revisions, although submitted to the Ministry of Finance and forwarded to the IDB, must receive the ‘no objection’ from the IDB before they can be proceeded with. Hence the postponement of the tender opening process.

The ministry stated that the initial project was tendered twice; first in 2014 and then again in 2015, both times under the previous administration. On the second occasion, tenders were returned in May 2015 as none of the contractors were deemed responsive.

Stabroek News had contacted Public Infrastructure Ministry Permanent Secretary Geoffrey Vaughn, who had indicated that the ministry had notified bidders via email. However, on Tuesday, some bidders, who were unaware that opening of the bids was cancelled, had turned up at the NPTAB, where they learnt of the situation.

The ministry said yesterday that tenders were returned unopened and can be resubmitted for the newly identified tender opening date.

Around the Web

Comments