Monument support at Palmyra collapses

A part of the structure which is being built to support the Indian Arrival Monument at Palmyra, Corentyne, collapsed on Tuesday afternoon. According to information gathered, no one was injured.

When Stabroek News, visited the site yesterday afternoon, officials from the construction company were there, inspecting the damage, as well as, pitching ideas for the way forward.

Marlon Cumberbatch, who was present, stated that he is the supervisor of the construction company which had been awarded the project. He stated that he did not have much information at hand, and could not say what caused the structure to suddenly collapse. However, he said that officials will now have to investigate to determine what triggered the collapse, whilst noting that they will probably have to “redesign” the structure.

The collapsed structure

Cumberbatch, when asked the name of the construction company he represents, stated that that was not important. He said that after the completion of this monument, the company will be “dissolved.” While Cumberbatch claimed that he was only the supervisor at the construction company, sources and workers claimed that he was the contractor, who had been awarded the project.

In addition, workers complained that the contractor owed them money for their labour.

Grantley Montooth, 63, a security guard at the site, stated that he began working at the location in February, and is owed a sum of money. He said that he has made numerous calls to the contractor and was promised that he would be paid on many occasions, however, he has not yet received any money.

Cumberbatch commenting on this issue stated that there was a mix up with the payment plan and as such, the workers will receive the money owed to them today.

Meanwhile, two other workers, a labourer and a steel bender said wages were owed to them as well. The workers are all hoping to be paid today, and not to be given a “push around” much longer.

During March 2017, Prime Minister, Moses Nagamootoo, together with the Indian High Commissioner, Venkatachalam Mahalingam, had unveiled a sign board depicting the monument at the chosen Palmyra location.

Nagamootoo, during that unveiling ceremony, had told media operatives that $97 million had been allocated for the building of the structure upon which the monument would be placed. The US$150,000 bronze sculpture, the actual monument, had been paid for by the Government of India.

 

Around the Web

Comments