The police today confirmed that planned searches of the premises of former Attorney General Anil Nandlall were abandoned last week after he became aware of the search warrants.
The police force also said that the conservatory order from the High Court which Nandlall says should shield him from searches for the law books does not pertain to the 14 volumes in connection with which Nandlall was charged with theft.
A statement from the police follows:
The Guyana Police Force is responding to an article published in today’s Edition of the Guyana Times under the caption ‘Did SOCU hoodwink Chief Magistrate?’
Please be advised that on Tuesday June 27,2017, Officers of the Guyana Police Force Special Organised Crime Unit were to conduct simultaneous searches of residences controlled by the former Attorney General, Mr. Mohabir Anil Nandlall in an ongoing effort to recover fourteen (14) Law Reports of the Commonwealth which were allegedly stolen prior to him demitting Office in 2015. These searches were abandoned after Mr. Nandlall was apprised of the pending searches.
The Public should be informed that in May, 2017 the Honourable Acting Chief Justice had granted a Conservatory Order restraining Officers from the Special Organised Crime Unit from executing a warrant, searching and seizing ‘Commonwealth Law Reports’.
The Force wishes to advise the Public that the publications being sought by the Guyana Police Force are fourteen (14) ‘Law Reports of the Commonwealth’ which were not the subject of the Conservatory Order issued by the Acting Chief Justice and which is the subject of criminal charges against the former Attorney General.