The driver of the minibus which allegedly struck down 17-year-old Seemattie Seodatt and her brother more than a month ago, resulting in her death, is likely to be charged shortly, Traffic Chief Dion Moore has said.
Contacted for an update on the investigation yesterday, Moore told this newspaper that the case file has been completed. “The file is going through the channel for advice. By Monday I should receive it in my office and by Friday it should reach the Director of Public Prosecutions,” he said.
The driver was placed on $100,000 station bail after his 72-hour detention period expired.
Seodatt of Lot 175 Foulis, East Coast Demerara succumbed to her injuries in the Intensive Care Unit of the Georgetown Public Hospital on June 12, three days after the incident. She had sustained massive head injuries and never regained consciousness.
This newspaper had previously reported that around 4.30 pm on June 9, Seemattie and her brother Bissoon Seodatt were on a bicycle heading to a gas station along the Enmore Public Road to purchase kerosene when minibus, BTT 4265, which was proceeding east on the public road collided with them.
At the time, Bissoon was riding the bicycle. He sustained a broken shoulder and several gashes to his head and was taken to the hospital where he was treated and sent away.
The dead girl’s sister, Dolly Seodat had told this newspaper that based on what the family was told, her siblings had already crossed the road when the minibus allegedly attempted to overtake another vehicle.
“He [Bissoon] did towing she [Seemattie] and we hear he [the driver] try to swerve and he hit them down and she [Seemattie] pitch and she head knock on the culvert,” she had explained.