Melanie Damishana labourer shot by police succumbs

Charles Peters, the Melanie Damishana labourer who was shot by the police on Tuesday afternoon, succumbed to his injuries yesterday morning.

Stabroek News understands that Peters, 36, a father of two of Lot 184 Melanie Damishana, East Coast Demerara died around 1 am at the Georgetown Public Hopsital (GPH) where he was admitted in a critical condition up to Tuesday evening.

He was shot twice; in his arm and foot and his family had said that they were told that if he had survived one of his hands would have had to be amputated due to the injuries he sustained.

Charles Peters

The Guyana Police Force’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) has since launched an investigation. It is unclear whether any of the three ranks who were on the patrol at the time of the incident is under close arrest.

The police had said that Peters was observed running on the road and acting in a suspicious manner.

As a result, they stopped to challenge him and it is being alleged that he attacked a police rank, resulting in him being shot.

Natasha Caesar, the dead man’s niece, had related to Stabroek News that while she was not present when the shooting took place, residents in the area had told her that Peters surrendered after being pursued by the police but was still shot. “I hear he surrender and when they did patting he down he keep telling them he is not a thief and they shot him to his leg. They say he jump in a trench and then the police shoot he again to his arm,” she said.

“I wasn’t there but I hear when they go after he, people in the area telling them not to shoot he, they know he from around the area, but they still shoot he,” the woman added.

Caesar had said that she learnt of the incident after receiving a call from a friend. “A friend see and she call and tell me police got Charlie and they patting he down and throw he in the vehicle,” she had said.

As a result, she said she immediately left her home and went to her mother’s house, where she told her cousins and sister what she had learned. “My cousin show me a picture on her phone and tell me, ‘Look is Uncle Charlie,’” she said.

Caesar had said that she then made contact with a friend at Cove and John, who confirmed that Peters was taken to the hospital.

As a result, she said she and other relatives rushed to the hospital, where they saw Peters in an unconscious condition.

Around the Web