Cops seeking leads on murder of Chinese businessman

The police have not yet been able to make an arrest in the killing of Chinese businessman Liyan Jiang, who was found bound and gagged in his Tuschen, East Bank Essequibo home last Thursday evening.

Liyan Jiang

When contacted by Stabroek News yesterday for an update, Divisional Commander Leslie James said there has been no new development in the matter. He said investigations are ongoing and a post-mortem examination will be conducted on Jiang’s remains tomorrow.

The lifeless body of Jiang, 44, of Lot 343 Block 8 Tuschen, New Housing Scheme, was discovered around 10 pm last Thursday in the bathroom area of the lower flat of the house, where he operated the Parade Chinese restaurant.

Jiang was found with his mouth tied with a piece of cloth and his hands bound behind his back with a piece of electrical wire. His body also bore several marks of violence.

It is suspected that the perpetrator/s gained entry into the house by removing several louvre panes from the bathroom window.

Jiang’s wife, who also operates a Chinese restaurant on the East Bank of Demerara, last spoke with him late last Thursday afternoon. She however tried calling him back later the same evening but the calls went to voicemail.

As a result, she contacted their family friend, journalist Neil Marks, who resides in the community, and asked him to check on Jiang.

Marks had told this newspaper that after receiving the call he immediately went to the house. Upon arrival, he said, he discovered that the door to the restaurant was opened. He said he subsequently called out for the businessman several times but got no response. As a result, Marks said he went to the Tuschen police outpost and reported the matter. He was accompanied back to the scene by a lone police officer, who, suspecting a robbery had occurred, called the Leonora Police Station and requested a patrol.

After the patrol arrived, ranks found Jiang’s motionless body in the house.


Around the Web