Varswyk helped massacre accused’s escape from cops in Linden


Murder accused Uree Varswyk, the Camp Street prison escapee who was shot dead during a confrontation with joint services ranks last Thursday, used the training he acquired as a former police officer to help Bartica massacre convict Mark Royden Williams escape, according to Assistant Commissioner of Police Clifton Hicken.

Hicken made this disclosure yesterday when asked for an update on the search for Williams. “Varswyk being trained, when the vehicles responded, brought down evasive fire, giving Williams coverage,” he told reporters, while adding that as the ranks were focused on the threat, Williams managed to flee.

Varswyk was shot dead minutes before midnight on Thursday during a Joint Services operation at Central Amelia’s Ward, Linden.

An autopsy revealed that Varswyk died as a result of shock and haemorrhage due to multiple gunshot wounds.

The autopsy was performed by Dr. Nehaul Singh yesterday at the Georgetown Public Hospital’s mortuary. His body was subsequently handed over to relatives for burial.

Since the operation, there has been no sign of Williams, who had been spotted in the company of Varswyk on the night of his death.

However, Hicken yesterday said that police are working assiduously to ensure the recapture of Williams, who is suspected to still be hiding out in the mining town.

He further related that while Varswyk and Williams were in close proximity to a police station, it does not necessarily mean they were hiding out there all the time.

Mark Royden Williams

Explaining the developments leading up to last Thursday’s confrontation with the escapees, Hicken noted that the Joint Services closed in on the men. “We start from till Blueberry Hill, Linden and we went to as far as Buck Town, then we comb all the kokers going through.

We ended up at Old England then. We went into the mines and because of the disruption operations we have been doing, they probably move from one area to another until we zero into them where we got them,” he said.

Information reaching Stabroek News revealed that the duo was staying at a shack belonging to ex-police officer Tion Alleyne in Central Amelia’s Ward, Linden.

Alleyne, 30, a resident of Lobora Creek, was on Tuesday charged and remanded to prison for harbouring the two men. He denied the charge which stated that between July 9 and July 23, he received, relieved, comforted, assisted and maintained Varswyk and Williams. Bail was refused and the matter was adjourned until September 28. Alleyne was taken into custody last week after police received information that he was seen in the company of the wanted men.  He was questioned and he reportedly admitted to detectives that he provided transportation and meals to the duo following their escape.

Other information revealed that Alleyne and Varswyk knew each other since they served together in the police force.

In addition, Hicken said ranks are also being deployed on the East Bank and East Coast of Demerara corridors as they continue to pursue the two other escapees, Cobena Stephens and Paul Goriah.

Around the Web