The two suspects in the torching of three houses in Sophia just over a week ago have fled the country, according to Commander of ‘C’ Division Calvin Brutus.
Brutus told Stabroek News yesterday afternoon that that while the full names of the alleged arsonists are not known to the police, investigations are ongoing and efforts are being made to have them arrested.
He did, however, note that the suspect in the related stabbing of Alvano Williams was charged.
The man, who is known as “Gaza,” was charged last week with the attempted murder of Williams and was remanded to prison.
Williams, 29, of B Field Sophia, was stabbed and chopped about his body around 8.30am on Sunday, September 17, at Dennis Street, Sophia. He has since been discharged from the hospital.
The attack reportedly stemmed from a dispute between Williams and the suspect over a woman. The two arsonists are believed to have torched the houses in retaliation for the attack on Williams. Two of the houses were located in the squatting area and one was in ‘B’ Field, Sophia. It was said that Williams’ initial attacker, who had fled the scene, had been hiding out in one of the houses.
Williams’s girlfriend, Amanda David, had said that he had been following her to work when the attack occurred. She recalled that they were approached by three men on bicycles and one of them stabbed Williams to the chest.
She said that after Williams fell, it was then that two other men began chopping him about the body with a cutlass. Meanwhile, three houses were burned, reportedly in retaliation for the attack on Williams.
Stabroek News understands that separate investigations were launched into the wounding and the arson.