Man burnt in Bush Lot fire succumbs

Jaikarran Sahadeo, the Bush Lot, West Coast Berbice man who was burned in a fire that gutted his home early Wednesday morning, has succumbed.

Sahadeo, 55, of Lot 99, Section D, Bush Lot Village, sustained severe burns on his back, legs, hands and other parts of the body in the fire of unknown origin. He succumbed sometime after 9 pm on Thursday evening.

The now dead man had made an escape from the fire through a window, after which his neighbours assisted him out of the yard at around 1.30 am.

Jaikarran Sahadeo

He was rushed to the Fort Wellington Hospital, from where he was transferred to the New Amsterdam Public Hospital, and then to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he took his last breath.

Early on Wednesday, neighbours heard screams coming from Sahadeo’s house, and upon taking a further look, discovered smoke and flames emanating from the lower flat of the building.

The man’s sister, Indira Sahadeo, 50, had occupied the lower flat of the building with her brother.  In a previous interview with Stabroek News, she noted that she had stayed over on Tuesday at a family friend’s house, three doors away from their abode. Indira had explained that the neighbours informed her of the blaze, however, before she arrived, her brother had already been rescued and taken to hospital.

Sahadeo, who was said to be alcoholic, was described by residents as an individual who kept to himself.

Around the Web

Comments