Inquest recommended into death of Tabatinga porter

Dinish Ramcharran

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has recommended that a Coroner’s Inquest be held into the death of Dinish Ramcharran, the Tabatinga porter who died more than six months ago after he reportedly fell from a moving truck.

Commander of ‘F’ Division Ravindradat Budhram confirmed to Stabroek News that the case file was sent to the DPP’s Chambers for legal advice and it was subsequently recommended that an inquest be held.

Ramcharran, 26, a resident of Tabatinga, Lethem, died on May 14 after he reportedly fell from the truck along the Kumu shortcut trail, at Lethem.

The police had said that the driver was proceeding north along the trail with two other occupants in the vehicle’s cab and Ramcharran perched on the roof. After driving for about a mile, he stopped and on checking discovered Ramcharran was not in the vehicle.

Ramcharran was later found on the trail, motionless. He was rushed to the Lethem Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

A post-mortem examination that was performed on Ramcharran’s remains had revealed that he died due to multiple injuries sustained.

However, the dead man mother, Waheeda Ramcharran had told Stabroek News that after receiving information, she did her own investigation and was convinced that there was more to her son’s death.

“At first, I did believe the story but then I got some new information and I went out there and do my own investigation and I obtain some evidence from eyewitnesses and so and I pass that on to the police,” Waheeda said. “They just say it’s an accident because me son fell off the truck and that was it but… I was told my son was pushed off of the truck and another vehicle behind them run he over,” she added.

Waheeda had recalled that on the morning of her son’s death, they were having breakfast when four persons came to their house in a truck and called for him. Dinish, she said, went outside and had a conversation with the men and they subsequently left. She said later the same day one of the men returned with some friends. Upon enquiring what they needed, she said she was told that the men wanted to borrow Dinish’s truck battery, which was loaned to them.

Several hours later, she said she received a call from one of the men who informed her that Dinish fell off the truck and died.

The woman said she immediately left for the hospital but when she arrived there her son’s body had not yet arrived. However, she noted that after much delay in arranging an ambulance to transport Dinish to the hospital, his body was picked up. By that time he had already died.

Around the Web