Sophia man charged over murder of Jamal Munroe

A 31-year-old man identified as the triggerman in the fatal shooting of Sophia resident Jamal Munroe was yesterday charged with murder and remanded to prison.

Travis Cleveland called ‘Spin and Kill’, a resident of Lot 337 South Sophia, appeared before Magistrate Alisha George at the Sparandaam Magistrate’s Court, where he was accused of murdering Munroe, on November 3 at Black and White Bridge, ‘C’ Field Sophia.

He was not required to plead to the indictable charge and was remanded to prison until December 20.

Jamal Munroe

Stabroek News was informed that before Munroe succumbed to his injuries, he reportedly identified Cleveland as his killer.

Cleveland and another suspect were arrested last Friday for questioning in relation to the crime. The other suspect remains in custody.

Two other persons, including a female security guard, who is said to be the mother of the alleged shooter, were initially arrested but were released.

Munroe, 24, a labourer of ‘C’ Field, Sophia, died on the evening of November 3 after he was shot multiple times about his body during a row.

He sustained gunshot wounds to his legs, his lower back and his left hand. He was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he succumbed while receiving medical attention.

The shooting occurred along the ‘C’ Field Access Road, around 10.45 pm.

The police, in a press release, had said that investigations revealed that Munroe and the suspect had an argument, during which he was shot.

While Stabroek News was told that Munroe’s girlfriend was at the centre of the argument between him and his assailant, the woman refuted the claims. She said Munroe was shot during an encounter with the suspect over a cell phone that was stolen from her.

This newspaper was told that Munroe’s girlfriend reportedly misplaced her cell phone at a shop and she subsequently saw the suspect picking up the phone when reviewing surveillance footage. As a result, a report was made to the Turkeyen Police Station and the suspect and his mother were taken into custody. They were later released after an agreement was reached to have the phone returned to its owner.

Munroe reportedly learnt of the incident and approached the suspect, resulting in the shooting.

Around the Web