Massy worker died from ammonia poisoning

(Trinidad Express) Massy Gas Products (Trinidad) maintenance worker, Gary Mohammed, died from ammonia poisoning, his relatives said.

Mohammed’s father, Kelvin Mohammed, said his son’s lung collapsed.

An autopsy was performed at the San Fernando mortuary on Monday.

Mohammed said, “I did not witness the autopsy but my son called to say his brother died because his lungs were burnt out by the ammonia.”

Massy worker
Gary Mohammed

Gary Mohammed, 32, and another worker who were injured when a cylinder containing ammonia ruptured at the Massy Gas Products (Trinidad) Point Lisas Industrial Estate, Couva, facility on May 31 died on Friday.

He was being treated at the Southern Medical Clinic in San Fernando.

According to the company, the ruptured cylinder was previously filled and was being held in storage for sale.

“Two employees… sustained injuries and were immediately attended to at the appropriate health facility, where they were treated by a specialist team of doctors. Over the past week, Gary Mohammed, a member of the maintenance department, developed further complications and unfortunately succumbed to his condition,” the company stated.

Mohammed, who lived at Mon Desir, South Oropouche, had been employed as a maintenance worker at the company for the past eight years.

Around the Web

Comments