Venezuela called “dictatorship” by Peru, condemned by new bloc

Peru’s Foreign Minister Ricardo Luna (C) along with foreign ministers and representatives from across the Americas, give a news conference after a meeting to discuss issues related to the Venezuelan crisis, in Lima, Peru, August 8, 2017. (Reuters photo)

LIMA, (Reuters) – Peru called the government of Venezuela a “dictatorship” yesterday after hosting the first meeting of a new, 17-member regional bloc that aims to seek a peaceful end to the country’s deepening political crisis.

In a joint declaration released after a meeting in Lima, countries including Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Chile and Colombia collectively condemned the “breakdown of democratic order” in Venezuela and said they would not recognize any action taken by its “illegitimate” new constituent assembly.

Peru’s Foreign Minister Ricardo Luna (C) along with foreign ministers and representatives from across the Americas, give a news conference after a meeting to discuss issues related to the Venezuelan crisis, in Lima, Peru, August 8, 2017. (Reuters photo)02

Peru called for the gathering of diplomats in the region after Venezuela held a widely-criticized election last month to form the constituent assembly, an all-powerful body run by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s Socialist Party loyalists.

“What we have in Venezuela is a dictatorship,” Peruvian Foreign Affairs Minister Ricardo Luna told a press conference, flanked by his counterparts from the region.

Luna said that it was important to address the “unprecedented regional crisis” in Venezuela collectively, but said some member’s of the new group may take individual actions to go further. Luna’s comments marked some of the harshest words for Venezuela from a foreign country amid the recent wave of international condemnations as Maduro’s government cracks down on protests and seeks to consolidate power.

Peru has been one of the most outspoken critics of Maduro under centrist Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczysnki, a former Wall Street banker whom Maduro has described as a lackey of the United States.

Earlier on Tuesday, Kuczynski said Venezuela was “on its last leg economically.”The regional group, which plans to meet again, also condemned Venezuela’s “systematic violation of human rights and fundamental liberties, violence, repression and political persecution, the existence of political prisoners and the lack of free elections.”

Chile’s foreign minister Heraldo Munoz told reporters that the group does not intend to meddle in Venezuela’s sovereign affairs. “What we want is to re-establish the broken democratic order,” Munoz said, adding that “Chile does not accept military coups, auto-coups or military uprisings.”

The meeting in Lima came as the regional ALBA bloc, which includes Venezuela’s leftist allies in Latin America including Nicaragua, Bolivia, Ecuador and Cuba, expressed support for Maduro in a meeting in Caracas. Earlier yesterday, the United Nations slammed Venezuela for the use of excessive force against anti-government protesters.

Comments  

Kingston pastor arrested on sex charges involving minor

(Jamaica Gleaner) The Kingston pastor who was being sought by the Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse (CISOCA) for allegedly repeatedly having sex with a 12-year-old girl before impregnating her, is now in jail.

Venezuela’s Constituent Assembly orders civilian trials for detained protesters

CARACAS, (Reuters) – Venezuela’s controversial Constituent Assembly yesterday ordered that cases of protesters detained this year be held in civilian rather than military courts, following complaints from various rights groups and the United Nations.

T&T dad knifed to death, as wife, children sleep

(Trinidad Express) Did mechanic Randy Ramkissoon scarifice his own life to save his wife and three young children when an intruder entered their home on Saturday night?

Venezuela’s Maduro calls for military exercises after Trump threat

CARACAS,  (Reuters) – Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro yesterday called for military exercises after U.S.

‘Terrorists likely to carry out attacks in T&T’

(Trinidad Express) Britain’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) on Friday updated its travel advisory on Trinidad and Tobago.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×