Brazilian billionaire Joesley Batista surrenders to police

BRASILIA,  (Reuters) – Billionaire Joesley Batista, one of the owners of JBS SA, the world´s largest meatpacker, and executive Ricardo Saud surrendered yesterday and were arrested by Brazilian police, their lawyer said.

Batista and Saud went to federal police headquarters in Sao Paulo yesterday afternoon and will be transferred to Brasilia today, their lawyer, Pierpaolo Bottini, said.

The arrests were ordered by Supreme Court Justice Edson Fachin, who agreed to a request by Brazilian Prosecutor-General Rodrigo Janot. The court revoked immunity from prosecution under previous plea deals struck by Batista and Saud, a former director of holding company J&F Investimentos.

In his decision ordering both arrested for at least five days, Fachin wrote the state witnesses were “selective” and did not present all information related to crimes they confessed to in their plea deals.

Janot sought the arrests after Batista and Saud recorded themselves discussing crimes not covered in the plea bargain. The taped conversation, made public by the Supreme Court, was inadvertently submitted to prosecutors with unrelated material last week.

In a statement yesterday, J&F lawyers said both men “did not lie nor omitted information” in their plea deals.

The Supreme Court Justice denied a request for the arrest of former prosecutor Marcelo Miller, who was accused by the prosecutor-general of helping Wesley and Joesley Batista with their plea deal before leaving the Prosecutor´s Office in April to a private law firm.

 

Comments  

Venezuela opposition leader Ledezma flees to Colombia

CARACAS/BOGOTA,  (Reuters) – Veteran Venezuelan opposition leader Antonio Ledezma, under house arrest since 2015 for alleged coup plotting, escaped across the border to Colombia yesterday.

Oil spill in T&T waters

The Environmental Management Authority (EMA) says it has been notified by Petrotrin that there was an oil spill on Wednesday six nautical miles off Trinidad in the Soldado North Field, Gulf of Paria.

Venezuela’s ex-prosecutor wants Maduro tried at Hague

CARACAS, (Reuters) – Venezuela’s sacked former chief prosecutor yesterday asked the International Criminal Court to capture and try President Nicolas Maduro and other top officials for crimes against humanity over murders by police and military officers.

NAFTA demise would not be devastating, Mexico says

MEXICO CITY, (Reuters) – Mexico’s economy minister said yesterday he did not agree with statements made by U.S.

How a defrocked judge became the chief legal enforcer for Maduro’s Venezuela

CARACAS, (Reuters) – Last March, Chief Justice Maikel Moreno shocked Venezuela when his Supreme Court nullified the powers of the National Assembly and transferred them to the 32-judge tribunal.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×