AG has nothing to apologise for – President

-Chancellor says as far as she is concerned matter has been settled

Basil Williams SC

President David Granger earlier today said that there is no need for Attorney General (AG) Basil Williams SC to apologise to Justice Franklyn Holder as his behaviour during a  March 23 hearing of the Carvil Duncan case was not contemptuous.

The President’s position will further fuel this raging issue as the judge maintains that Williams’ conduct was despicable and that statements made constitute “contemptuous behaviour.” Williams has been adamant that he has nothing to apologise for.

Responding to questions following the swearing in of two Appellate judges at State House, Granger maintained that based on Williams’ explanation he committed no wrong.

“If the judge felt that his behaviour was in contempt, the judge knew what he had to do, he did not cite the Attorney General for contempt and as things stand I feel that the explanation given to me by the Minister of Legal Affairs adequately deals with the complaint which I received”, he said.

Asked whether he believes that an apology is in order, Granger responded “Under the circumstances I cannot see that there was anything which would have warranted his being cited for contempt of court and as I said that is the important thing. His behaviour was not contemptuous of the court so in that regard there cannot be any justifiable call for an apology because his behaviour was not in contempt of court”.

Basil Williams SC

Following the courtroom exchange between the two which occurred on March 23, there were claims that the AG threated the judge. However the judge later clarified that Williams’ behaviour was disrespectful to the court and unbecoming of someone of his calibre.

Justice Holder made a report to acting Chancellor of the Judiciary Yonette Cummings-Edwards and to today there had been no official pronouncement on this aspect of the matter.

Quizzed on the issue moments after Granger had spoken, Justice Cummings-Edwards said that as far as she is aware the matter has already been dealt with. “It is a matter for the court to handle and the matter engaged the attention of the judge”, she said before later agreeing that what transpired in the courtroom that day is of concern.

Before announcing his decision to recuse himself on May 8, the Justice Holder recalled the sequence of events from the previous hearing. Justice Holder said the AG proceeded to make statements which were “insolent and disrespectful in both tone and content.”

The judge noted that Williams, in a rather “loud and bellicose manner,” said that he must record “no” based on the response of Dianna Persaud, a witness for Duncan, who was being cross-examined at the time.

According to Justice Holder, he thereafter assured Williams that a record was being made that the witness has said “no.” Not being satisfied with the court’s assurances, the judge said the AG followed up with words to the effect that previously the witness had said “yes” in answer to an earlier question and the court chose not to make a record of this.

Justice Holder said at that point he told Williams that he took umbrage to his tone and what he was insinuating, which was in effect, that the court was being selective in recording evidence.

The judge noted that Williams, in a rather truculent manner, while standing in the well of the court, responded that “the last person who told me what I should not say was a magistrate and he is now dead.”

Following that statement, the judge said, Williams then declared, “all morning Nandlall disrespecting you and you have not done anything about it.” This, the judge asserted, was not a true statement reflective of the proceedings.

Justice Holder emphasized that addressing the court by the use of the pronoun “you, ought to count in any quarter as being disrespectful.”

The judge said that this was followed by “a most egregious statement of Mr Williams, to wit, ‘I could say what I want to say and when I want to say it, I have always been like that,’” which prompted him to rise from the bench and retire to his chambers.

Justice Holder said that taken individually, the statements he recounted that were made by Williams “may be perceived as insolent behaviour and not necessarily contempt of court.”

When considered collectively and within the time frame they were made, the judge, however, asserted that the statements prima facie constitute “contemptuous behaviour.”

 

Comments  

Billions diverted by prison unrest partly to blame for GuySuCo severance shortfall in budget – Trotman

Alliance for Change (AFC) leader Raphael Trotman yesterday said the diversion of billions to the security sector after the destruction of the Camp Street prison was partly responsible for the government not budgeting the full sum for severance payments to laid off sugar workers.

Cops seek motive for Pomeroon murders

  The police were up to yesterday afternoon still working to ascertain the motive behind the murders of Ambrose Baharally and Martin Godette, the Pomeroon farmers who were shot dead on Sunday and a potential witness was taken into custody to assist with the investigation.

Ramotar claims gov’t ignored promised India loans for sugar industry

Former President Donald Ramotar has accused the current government of accepting loans from India that he initiated except those pertaining to the rehabilitation of the sugar industry but State Minister Joseph Harmon says he is unaware of the claim and has urged that the former head of state prove it.

Child rapist sentenced to 45 years

Omadat Persaud, who was on trial for raping a five-year-old girl in 2015, was yesterday afternoon sentenced to 45 years in jail after a jury unanimously convicted him of the crime.

Mother urges justice for vendor killed by city cop

The mother of Marlon Fredericks, the mentally-challenged vendor who was fatally shot by a member of the city constabulary on Sunday, yesterday called for justice for her son, while saying that an autopsy found that he died of a gunshot wound to his chest.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×