Small generator fire scorches Buddy’s Sheriff St building

– concerns raised over undisclosed changes in operation

The southern side of the building suffered minor scorching as a result of yesterday’s fire.

The Guyana Fire Service (GFS) was yesterday morning able to contain a potentially disastrous fire at the Buddy’s building, Sheriff Street caused by the electrical malfunction of a generator.

According to reports, the fire occurred just after 10.30 am yesterday, at the southern end of the building where several generators are located.

Ryan Shivraj, Managing Director of Buddy’s, was reportedly in his office when he was alerted of the fire and efforts were made to evacuate everyone in the building, all of whom made it out unharmed.

The scene outside the building yesterday morning after the fire.

When Stabroek News visited the scene, members of the GFS were seen hosing down the area where the fire had erupted, while a small crowd of persons looked on.

Apart from minor scorching on the southern side of the building and damage to the generator the building suffered no major damage.

Fire Chief Marlon Gentle, in an invited comment, told members of the media that the GFS was alerted of the fire just around 10.35 am yesterday.

“We received three calls through our 912 lines reporting smoke coming from the bottom flat of this building. Our alarms went out and our units were dispatched from the Camp-bellville, Alberttown and Central fire stations. Campbellville was the first unit arriving on the scene and reported heavy smoke conditions on the southern side of the building which houses the generators,” Gentle explained.

“Fires were somewhere between the generators and the building of itself. The other units when they arrived were able to surround the fire and were able to put it out,” he added.

Regarding the cause of the fire, the Fire Chief said preliminary findings indicate that it might have been the result of an electrical malfunction during the operation of the generator.

The southern side of the building suffered minor scorching as a result of yesterday’s fire.

He expressed concern that the occupancy and operation details of the building had changed but no consultation was done with the GFS to ensure that the necessary fire safety measures were in place to suit the change.

“Clearly the fire safety measures that were previously in place were not adequate to first detect this problem… The amount of generators that we saw there… (We knew that only two generators were there, one large and one small.) However, we are now seeing another bank of generators which of course we believe led to the electrical failure,” Gentle said

“Based on our observations and our last review of this building last year there have been some significant changes made to the operations. A floor, which we once knew as a pool hall, has since been converted to a school. And on the bottom floor, there are some ongoing renovation works that seem to suggest some type of fast food operation will be coming there,” he added.

The Fire Chief, after speaking with the proprietor of the building, told the media that plans are underway for an engagement on the change of occupancy and operations of the building as different fire safety measures would have to be put in place.

Additionally, the GFS will be engaging technical partners at the Ministry of Public Infrastructure, the Government Public Inspectors Department and the City Council Engineers Department to ascertain what plans, if any, were submitted for the changes to the building.

“We have to find out what plans would have been submitted for the changes of the building and from there we will take it because clearly there are some changes that we do not know about,” the Fire Chief added.

Two parts of the building, Buddy’s Pool Hall and Night Club were closed last September due to a drop in business. However, Buddy’s Mei Tung Restau-rant and Buddy’s Gym remained open.

The pool hall has since been taken over by a medical school, the Alexander American University School of Medicine, operated by Indian nationals.

Comments  

Woman suspected of posting hammocks saturated in cocaine

The Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) today said that Tiffini Collison, 26-years-old of F 21 Samaan Street Guyhoc Park, Georgetown posted four hammocks suspected to have been saturated with cocaine to an address in the USA through an International Courier Service in Georgetown sometime last week.

President meets Chevron official

President David Granger (centre) today met  President of Chevron Africa and Latin America Exploration and Production Company,  Clay Neff (third from right).

Ex-U.S. Rep. Weiner sentenced to 21 months in teen ‘sexting’ case

Anthony Weiner   NEW YORK,  (Reuters) – Former U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner was sentenced to 21 months in prison today for sending sexually explicit messages to a 15-year-old girl, setting off a scandal that played a role in the 2016 U.S.

Albion man killed in robbery on Freeman St, two brothers injured

A family’s preparation for a memorial service ended tragically early yesterday morning when bandits stormed into their home in  East La Penitence and discharged several rounds, fatally wounding a man and injuring two of his brothers.

Trinis rescued in Dominica after living in car for four days

(Trinidad Express) The Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force and Coast Guard have been at the helm of a dramatic rescue of a family of four, including two small children, who lived in a car for four days after their home in Dominica was destroyed last Monday by Hurricane Maria.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×