Family says being kept in dark on probe of labourer killed by cop

The family of Charles Peters, the Melanie Damishana labourer who was fatally shot by the police two weeks ago, says it is being kept in the dark about the investigation.

Peters, 36, a father of two of Lot 184 Melanie Damishana, East Coast Demerara, succumbed at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) on July 26, one day after he was shot twice by the police.

The police had said that Peters was observed running on the road and acting in a suspicious manner. As a result, he was stopped and challenged and it is being alleged that he was attacked a police rank, resulting in him being shot.

Charles Peters

Contacted on Monday, the dead man’s niece, Onica (only name given), said the family is frustrated and is currently contemplating its next step in light of not hearing anything about the case from the police.

The woman said the last update her family was given was that an investigation had started. This, she said, was related when the Divisional Commander had visited Peters’ home days after his death to offer sympathy and any assistance needed.

“They did say that they will give we assistance needed but my uncle bury on Saturday and on to now nobody ain’t give us any help,” Onica said. “From since then, up to now, we ain’t hear back anything. All I can say right now is that we are going to go far because we need justice. The matter is not over, it’s not going to go down like that,” she added.

However, when contacted for a comment, Divisional Commander Calvin Brutus said that the matter is being investigated by the Guyana Police Force’s Office of Professional Responsibi-lity (OPR).

Onica explained that after the shooting, the family started to hear different versions of what the police said transpired on the day Peters was shot.  “The amount of times they say they shoot he is totally different from what we saw when we see the body,” she noted.

The woman also said that the post-mortem examination revealed that Peters died as a result of multiple injuries. She said based on what they were told, he was also beaten during the encounter. “After they cut he, they said that he was also beaten around his stomach area,” she noted.

Meanwhile Natasha Caesar, another niece, had previously related to Stabroek News that while she was not present when the shooting took place, residents in the area had told her that Peters surrendered after being pursued by the police but he was still shot. “I hear he surrender and when they did patting he down, he keep telling them he is not a thief and they shot him to his leg. They say he jump in a trench and then the police shoot he again to his arm,” she said.

“I wasn’t there but I hear when they go after he, people in the area telling them not to shoot he, they know he from around the area, but they still shoot he,” the woman added.

Comments  

Ali smashes century as England beat West Indies

England’s Moeen Ali celebrates his century Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra   BRISTOL, England,  (Reuters) – Moeen Ali hit the second fastest one-day international century in England’s history to set up a win over West Indies by 124 runs today.

Kenya’s chief prosecutor orders investigation into election board

Keriako Tobiko   NAIROBI, (Reuters) – Kenya’s chief prosecutor has directed the department of criminal investigations and the anti-corruption commission to investigate election board officials over possible offences in the invalidated Aug.

One brother fatally shot by bandit in East La Penitence robbery, two others injured

A family preparing for a memorial service today was attacked by armed bandits in East La Penitence and one brother succumbed to bullet wounds and two others have been admitted to hospital.

Dominica has been brought to its knees – PM tells UN

Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit of the Commonwealth of Dominica addresses the general debate of the General Assembly’s seventy-second session.

Main suspect in Berbice boy’s murder accused of being serial abuser

Residents of East Bank Berbice were in anger and disbelief yesterday as the decomposing body of 13-year-old Leonard Archibald, who was raped and then dumped into the Berbice River, was finally found, while the main suspect in the crime was accused by young boys of carrying out a series of attacks on them over a number of years.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×