1823 Revolt Memorial for Independence Park -President Granger

-August 20 is Demerara Martyrs Day

The Free Souls Dance Theatre paying tribute to the Demerara Martyrs through a musical requiem. (Ministry of the Presidency photo)

President David Granger on Sunday committed to ensuring that a memorial is built at the Independence Park in Cummingsburg next year to commemorate the 195th anniversary of the 1823 Demerara Slave Revolt.

He also announced that August 20 will from now on be recognised as ‘Demerara Martyrs’ Day, according to a release from the Ministry of the Presidency.

The President made the announcement at the commemorative ceremony to mark the 194th anniversary of the 1823 Demerara Revolt, which was held at the site of the Monument on Atlantic Avenue. He said that while the event is modestly commemorated in Bachelors’ Adventure on the East Coast of Demerara, he will ensure that the Memorial is erected at the Park (also known as Parade Ground) where the history is buried.

The former PPP/C government had erected a monument to the 1823 revolt on a swathe of land between the seawall road and Carifesta Avenue in close proximity to the Kitty Pump Station and opposite the GDF Officers  Mess at Camp Ayanganna.  This was done against the wishes of prominent Afro-Guyanese groups which had wanted the memorial at Parade Ground which was associated with the events that followed the revolt.

“The Demerara Revolt is remembered in the village of Bachelors’ Adventure where the massacre occurred. The villagers built their own modest memorial to the Martyrs. I have published a Presidential order declaring 20th August ‘Demerara Martyrs’ Day’ and I have promised to erect a memorial at Independence Park to commemorate the massacre on its 195th anniversary in August 2018,” Granger told the gathering along the seawall.

The President said that the massacre was a turning point in Guyanese and colonial history.  “We are assembled to pay homage to the more than 200 martyrs, who were killed on a single morning and to the uncounted others, who were summarily executed in succeeding days. The massacre took place at Plantation Bachelor’s Adventure, where the main body of troops commanded by Lieutenant Colonel John Thomas Leahy confronted over 2,000 rebels. Martial Law was proclaimed and, after some talk, the troops were ordered to attack,” he said.

The release said that while a formal Court Martial was convened in Georgetown on August 25, 1823 under Lieutenant Colonel Stephen Arthur Goodman, public executions took place on the Militia Parade Ground, now known as Independence Park in Cummingsburg.

The Head of State said that it is important that all Guyanese commemorate this event so that future generations will not forget that their freedom was bought at the high price of the martyrdom of hundreds of enslaved Africans.

 

 

Comments  

Woman suspected of posting hammocks saturated in cocaine

The Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) today said that Tiffini Collison, 26-years-old of F 21 Samaan Street Guyhoc Park, Georgetown posted four hammocks suspected to have been saturated with cocaine to an address in the USA through an International Courier Service in Georgetown sometime last week.

President meets Chevron official

President David Granger (centre) today met  President of Chevron Africa and Latin America Exploration and Production Company,  Clay Neff (third from right).

Ex-U.S. Rep. Weiner sentenced to 21 months in teen ‘sexting’ case

Anthony Weiner   NEW YORK,  (Reuters) – Former U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner was sentenced to 21 months in prison today for sending sexually explicit messages to a 15-year-old girl, setting off a scandal that played a role in the 2016 U.S.

Albion man killed in robbery on Freeman St, two brothers injured

A family’s preparation for a memorial service ended tragically early yesterday morning when bandits stormed into their home in  East La Penitence and discharged several rounds, fatally wounding a man and injuring two of his brothers.

Trinis rescued in Dominica after living in car for four days

(Trinidad Express) The Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force and Coast Guard have been at the helm of a dramatic rescue of a family of four, including two small children, who lived in a car for four days after their home in Dominica was destroyed last Monday by Hurricane Maria.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×