Man left for dead after Tain hit and run

Andre Buchan

A 64-year-old Tain Settlement, Corentyne, Berbice man was left dead on the Tain Public Road, after he was struck by a car on Sunday evening.

Andre Buchan, also known as “Nalvan,” who was a former GuySuCo employee of Lot 51 Block 4 Tain Settlement, was heading to deliver food for a friend when he was struck on the road around 7 pm.

Police have since launched an investigation. However, Stabroek News was told that no arrest had been made up to yesterday afternoon.

A police source said that some persons are claiming that Buchan was reportedly intoxicated and lying on the main road at the time of accident.

Andre Buchan

Buchan’s brother, Michael Latchaya, 48, told Stabroek News that his family received a message that a car had hit Buchan. The man related that family members then rushed to the scene, where they discovered Buchan’s lifeless body in a “pile of blood.”

According to Latchaya, the family was told, “One car sway away and one hit him and gone.” Residents said Buchan was bleeding from his nose, mouth and ears after he was struck.

Traffic Chief for ‘B’ Division Boodnarine Persaud along with other traffic police visited the scene yesterday to gather more information on the car that hit Buchan.

Residents related that they heard an impact, after which they saw a white car stop. The driver reportedly exited and looked around. However, it was then that another car reportedly sped past. It is unclear whether both cars would have come in contact with Buchan.

Buchan was a father of one.

Comments  

Hundreds more sugar workers to be laid off

Several hundred more sugar workers are expected to be laid off from the Skeldon, Rose Hall, and East Demerara estates by next month and the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) yesterday urged that the decision be reviewed.

Order signed for setting up of telecoms agency

The commencement order establishing the Telecommunications Agency was signed last Friday, in anticipation of the liberalisation of the telecoms sector, Minister of Public Tele-communications Cathy Hughes announced yesterday.

Soesdyke woman gets 4 years, $14M fine over cocaine in ceiling

Nickela Craig-Singh, the woman who was arrested last Friday after the Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) found over 10 pounds of cocaine in the ceiling of her Soesdyke home, was yesterday sentenced to four years in prison and fined over $14 million after pleading guilty to possession of the drug.

Public Information Director regrets Facebook criticism of Indian descent conference

Almost two weeks after he made a Facebook post in which he questioned whether the Indian High Commission was interfering in Guyana’s internal affairs, Director of Public Information Imran Khan yesterday said that he regretted the “furore” his post created and admitted that it should have benefitted from “greater elegance or not have been made.” After public reprimand and criticisms coming from even within the government, Khan, who initially staunchly maintained that he voiced his concerns in his private capacity as a citizen, said in a recent post on the issue that he now appreciates how persons may have interpreted his views as being some way reflective of the office he holds.

Mother says beheading victim is Port Kaituma miner

A young man seen in a recent viral video being brutally murdered in neighbouring Venezuela has been identified as a Port Kaituma miner.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×