DPP withdraws application to forfeit $9m seized from Barry Dataram

The Chambers of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) yesterday withdrew an application for the forfeiture of $9 million that had been seized from convicted drug trafficker Barry Dataram and his brother Troy Dataram.

The move came almost a month after the DPP signaled that it would appeal a decision by the High Court ordering that the money be returned.

The DPP’s representative, Dionne McCammon, informed Magistrate Judy Latchman of the decision yesterday.

McCammon told the court that the DPP has not filed an appeal against the High Court’s decision but noted that the Attorney General’s Chambers would be filing an appeal.

The $9 million in question was seized by Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) agents during a search conducted on the home of Troy Dataram on February 18, 2016. On November 16, 2016, the DPP made an application to Magistrate Latchman for the forfeiture of the money.

For months, the Datarams’ attorney, Glenn Hanoman, had argued that the Magistrate’s Court had no jurisdiction to hear the matter, which he said should be before the High Court.

Comments  

Maurice Arjoon’s lawyer in bid to levy on NBS

  The legal team for former New Building Society (NBS) manager, Maurice Arjoon, who was wrongfully dismissed, have levied on the bank’s assets in a bid to recoup the $59,033,000 pension owed to him by the financial institution.

Mahaicony farmer who drove car without permission dies in crash

An alleged inebriated farmer of 54 Strath Campbell Village, Mahaicony, ECD, died at about 3 pm  yesterday at Chance Village, Mahaicony, after a vehicle he was reportedly not given permission to drive, crashed into a utility pole.

Quarter-final curse fells Nadal again as Cilic advances

MELBOURNE,  (Reuters) – Rafa Nadal’s Australian Open quarter-final curse struck again on Tuesday, an injury forcing the top seed to retire in the fifth set against Croatia’s Marin Cilic.

Hundreds more sugar workers to be laid off

Several hundred more sugar workers are expected to be laid off from the Skeldon, Rose Hall, and East Demerara estates by next month and the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) yesterday urged that the decision be reviewed.

Order signed for setting up of telecoms agency

The commencement order establishing the Telecommunications Agency was signed last Friday, in anticipation of the liberalisation of the telecoms sector, Minister of Public Tele-communications Cathy Hughes announced yesterday.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×