Rehab of QC field still to begin

A section of the field last Monday. (Photo by Keno George)

Despite promises from the school’s board, the expected rehabilitation of the Queen’s College field is yet to start.

It was reported last week that a full restoration of the field was to be done but those works were delayed because the board was awaiting approval from a government organisation for use of the machinery.

Permission was since received, but although works were set to commence last week, up to yesterday, there was no marked difference in the appearance of the ground. It is to be noted that with the commencement of the new term, the sports season is looming not too far in the distance.

It was related to Stabroek News on Monday that the total cost of the contracted works is $1.4 million, and according to information received prior, once started, it should be completed within two weeks.

The planned works include slashing, ploughing, and levelling of the field.

Last week, Chairman of the Board Alfred Granger related that the field’s maintenance will be funded by the school’s board, with support from members of the Queen’s College alumni.

Granger further related that they received a $15 million estimate for the restoration of the pavilion that occupies the ground, and said that more than $4 million has already been made available for its refurbishment thanks to the College’s United States chapter. Additionally, Granger related that the rehabilitative works for the pavilion have been budgeted for in the 2018 budget.

In April, Stabroek News first documented the poor condition of the field. The field, which facilitates the school’s sports and physical education programme, had become a mass of overgrown weeds and builder’s waste.

Comments  

Exxon contract final -Harmon

The controversial Production Sharing Agreement (PSA) signed between the government and ExxonMobil’s local subsidiary and partners is final and will not be subject to any changes, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

NIS re-examining investment in Berbice Bridge, GM says

General Manager Holly Greaves yesterday said the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) is re-examining its investment in the Berbice Bridge after dismal returns over the past few years.

CARICOM staffer shot, robbed after bank withdrawal

A gunman yesterday afternoon shot and robbed a senior CARICOM Secreta-riat employee after he left the Republic Bank (Guyana) Limited branch at Triumph, East Coast Demerara (ECD), in what is the most recent attack on the bank’s customers.

President says confident in World Court cause

As Guyana celebrates 48 years as a Republic, President David Granger has reiterated his government’s intention to take the Venezuelan border controversy to the World Court and declared each citizen a protector of the nation’s sovereignty.

Police block Corriverton flag raising

`B’ Division policemen last evening blocked the Corriverton flag raising ceremony because permission had not been sought but Mayor Krishnand Jaichand believes it was stopped because the Region Six council objected to Minister of Public Security, Khemraj Ramjattan as the featured speaker.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×