Guyanese man to be jailed for 20 years over hate crimes against Muslims in NY

Ray Lengend who went on a fire-bombing spree of mosques throughout southeast Queens, this week pleaded guilty to the crimes against Muslims who the 45-year-old Guyanese man claimed in 2012 had been “trying to take over his life”, according to the Times Ledger in Queens, New York.

Acting Queens Supreme Court Justice Barry Kron said he would sentence Lengend, who is also known as Suraj Poonai, to 20 years and five years post-release supervision for first-degree arson as a hate-crime when he returns to court on Sept. 28, Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said.

“In pleading guilty, the defendant has admitted to carrying out a vicious, hate-filled attack that endangered scores of people,” Brown said, according to the Times Ledger. “In a single night, this individual filled glass bottles with gasoline to make crude Molotov cocktails and then tossed them at five buildings. His targets ranged from private dwellings to houses of worship – endangering those within the buildings as well as the firefighters called to respond to the scene. This kind of intolerance and hate will not be tolerated in Queens.”

Pleading guilty, Lengend claimed responsibility for the attacks in which he used molotov cocktails, made of Starbuck Frappuccino bottles filled with gasoline, to attack mosques, a deli, a private residence and a Hindu place of worship, the report said.

In early January, he drove to a gas station in a stolen rental car where he purchased the provisions for his attack before heading off to a mosque at 89-89 Van Wyck Expwy. He balked at performing the task because of a police presence near the house of worship and instead torched a nearby deli at the corner of Hillside Avenue and 179th Street, according to the criminal complaint.

Lengend immediately drove back to the mosque where 80 people were praying at the time and threw one of the Molotov cocktails at the front entrance before fleeing.

Lengend’s attacks did not end there. He went to a home near 107th Avenue and Sutphin Boulevard, which he attacked before heading to Elmont, L.I., where his brother-in-law lived. The molotov cocktail he threw at the house, however, did not explode and he moved on to the next target.

A house at 170th Street and 88th Avenue, which doubled as a Hindu temple, was next on the list of targets, according to the criminal complaint.

The suspect was later arrested and kept at Bellevue Hospital’s psych ward where he was arraigned by teleconference.

In statements to the police, Lengend said the goal of the attacks was to inflict as much damage to Muslims, Hindus and “Arabs” as possible, the report added.

Comments  

Guyana to host some ICC Women’s World Twenty20 matches

(ICC) Antigua and Barbuda, Guyana and St Lucia were today announced by the International Cricket Council (ICC) as the venues for the ICC Women’s World Twenty20 2018, which will be staged from 9-24 November.

GAWU says more sugar workers for the breadline

The sugar union, GAWU today said that more sugar workers are to be made redundant.

University of T&T to shed 287 jobs

(Trinidad Guardian) Education Minister Anthony Garcia says the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) is of the view that the organisation is “overstaffed and to run the university efficiently it will mean they have to trim fat.” But former Tertiary Education Minister Fazal Karim is warning that the decision to retrench 287 staff members, will “compromise the quality of teaching and learning and administration at the university,” and may impact its accreditation with the Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT).

Pegasus Hotel for major expansion

In preparation for Guyana’s emerging oil and gas sector and the bustling business usually synonymous with the industry, the Pegasus Hotel is expected to undergo a huge expansion which includes office and residential rental spaces.

Top Cop to resume duties today

Police Commissioner Seelall Persaud is to resume his duties today after spending approximately six months on leave, Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan yesterday confirmed to Stabroek News.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×