Puran Bros, Cevons expected to resume garbage collection under new deal with city

Garbage contractors Puran Brothers Disposal Inc. and Cevons Waste Management Inc. are likely to resume their collection services for the city before the end of the year, Mayor and City Council (M&CC) Solid Waste Director Walter Narine said yesterday.

Narine told reporters that once the payment is made to the contractors by central government, they would be able to recommence garbage collection in the city, albeit on new terms.

The M&CC had approached the Central Government through the Ministry of Communities for a bail out of $475,635,245 to settle the city’s debt to both Puran Brothers and Cevons, and another company, Dartmouth Skips Rental.

Narine yesterday said that the two companies “will not come back with the luxury they had [before their withdrawal]. They both had five groups each. But going forward we are looking at splitting up the constituency’s clearance and in that, all of the contractors get a bite.”

In August, the city said it viewed plans by the Puran Brothers and Cevons to withdraw their services over the arrears as a termination of their contracts, based on the fact that there was no provision in their respective agreements for the suspension of services. The companies had previously suspended their services over the city’s failure to honour its financial obligations.

Narine yesterday said that the city would be in charge of collecting garbage from the municipal markets, and high producing areas, including the commercial district.

“The city would be in charge of four constituencies and the contractors would all have two [constituencies] each,” he explained, while noting that the areas would be spilt among Puran Brothers, Cevons, Grandison Waste and SanDip Waste Disposal.

The projected cost of the new arrangement is pegged at some $10 million per month as opposed to $43 million when Puran Brothers and Cevons were contracted for collection.

Additionally, although the council contracted three smaller waste disposal companies to assist with garbage collection, there continue to be complaints by residents of delayed collection.

The contracting companies are expected to meet today to discuss a new garbage schedule, Narine said.

In addition, Narine stated that two of the four garbage collection trucks have resumed operations and they are working to have the two others repaired.

He added that the parts for the trucks have to be sourced overseas and they have already made an order to the local distributor. The parts are expected to arrive in the country in six to eight days.

Comments  

U.S. government to remain closed on Monday as Senate still short of deal

WASHINGTON,  (Reuters) – A U.S. government shutdown will enter its third day today as Senate negotiators failed to reach a deal late on Sunday on Democrats’ demand for legislation protecting “Dreamers,” young people brought to the country illegally as children.

Red Force slump to innings defeat as Jaguars finish unbeaten

GEORGETOWN, Guyana,  CMC – Jason Mohammed completed his seventh first class hundred but there was little joy for Trinidad and Tobago Red Force as Guyana Jaguars needed a mere 45 deliveries to pull off an innings and 81-run win in their final round match here today.

Pope warns Latin America about corruption, mentions Odebrecht

LIMA, (Reuters) – Pope Francis wrapped up his trip to Chile and Peru today by warning that Latin America was in a deep crisis from corruption, with politics in most countries “more sick than well.” Speaking in improvised remarks to bishops, he mentioned the scandal involving construction company Odebrecht, which has admitted to paying billions in bribes, as an example of greed run amok across the continent of his birth.

Buttler hundred hands England ODI series victory

SYDNEY,  (Reuters) – England’s Jos Buttler struck a belligerent unbeaten 100 to set up a 16-run win over Australia in the third one-day international on Sunday, as the touring side took an unassailable 3-0 lead in the five-match series.

Law to debar errant contractors coming by year end – Corbin

The Public Procurement Commission (PPC) hopes that by the end of this year debarment legislation would be in place as it will soon begin meeting with stakeholders on a draft.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×