The AFC National Executive Committee over the weekend endorsed the controversial choice of Justice James Patterson as Chairman of the Guyana Elections Commission.
A statement from the party follows:
The Alliance For Change held its quarterly National Executive Committee meeting at the weekend at the Georgetown Club in the capital city. The meeting was attended by the national leadership and representatives from all administrative regions in Guyana and the Diaspora.
The meeting received various reports and following are the key decisions taken and issues deliberated on:
1. The NEC expressed deep concern for workers in the sugar industry who are likely to be displaced and calls on government to take decisive decisions with regard to their welfare and proposes that the following be considered:
– severance pay
– offer of land leases
– access to small loans
– access to markets for agro-processing
- The party endorses the vision of a new bridge across the Demerara river along with the paving of the Linden to Lethem road. The party further endorses the design of the new Demerara river bridge as presented by the Ministry of Public Infrastructure.
- While welcoming measures to increase minimum wage and avoid any new taxes, the NEC urges that Budget 2018 be balanced with enhanced social content to meet the needs of all communities while not neglecting the strategic infrastructural projects.
- The party remains fully committed to executing its role in advancing Constitutional Reform and calls on the government to establish the Integrity Commission as a matter of urgent national priority.
5. The NEC formally endorsed the party’s decision to lend support to the decision of President David Granger in appointing Justice James Patterson as GECOM Chairman.
- The NEC mandated the party’s leadership to formally write to A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) with regard to review and revision of the Cummingsburg Accord and stipulated that this process must be completed by the third anniversary of the signing of the Accord – February 14, 2018.
- The NEC has named members to the party’s negotiating team with regard to item 7 above and in anticipation of APNU similarly name its negotiating team.
- The NEC pointed to the need for strengthening of the party’s structures to prepare for the 2018 Local Government Elections and to improve the performance of the party’s secretariat with a view to enhancing its efficiency and effectiveness in serving both the party and the public.
- The NEC urged that the party heightens outreach activities across communities in Guyana and in Diaspora.