After a decade…Hand en Veldt to receive potable water

Residents of Hand en Veldt at the meeting (GWI photo)

Residents of Hand en Veldt, Mahaica, Region 5, have been promised access to potable water by Christmas this year, after 10 years of being without such.

This promise was made as Managing Director of Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) Dr. Richard Van West-Charles and other technical staff visited the community on Monday, a release from the utility said yesterday.

The residents of the community had written a letter which appeared in the November 20 edition of Stabroek News complaining of their lack of access to potable water even after making several pleas to the previous administration.

GWI said that under the current administration, the residents recently reached out to GWI’s regional office where they received support and works commenced shortly thereafter to ensure that the residents receive potable water.

There were, however, some technical challenges along the way, the release said, which delayed the installation of the service connections to customers. The GWI Managing Director told the residents that he asked that the company’s technical staff to look as the situation, and despite the challenges, GWI will seek every means possible to remedy the situation by Christmas.

Van West-Charles encouraged the residents to firstly register with the regional office as

customers, following which they will pay a minimal service connection fee.

He also related to residents that the company will regularly test the water they will receive and the results will be accessible to all.

GWI Executive Director of Operations,  Dwayne Shako, told the residents that the company will begin the installation of service connections to customers during this week.

GWI said that residents also took the opportunity to raise other issues, including leakages in the vicinity of the community and the build-up of rust in the pipe at the end of the network.

GWI will install a flush-out mechanism to address the latter issue, the release said.

In the letter to Stabroek News, a resident had said that they had been pleading for over a decade for water.

“We have several residents here and many more who want to join in building their homes but have not done so due to not having access to potable water. We are forced to pay $700 per 250-gallon water container to wash, cook, clean and drink. A typical household residence comprises of 4 to 10 persons who range in age. Many of us are peasant farmers with little children who have to go to school and even pensioners and have to be using water from the canal for personal and hygienic needs. Should this still be happening in the year 2017”, the resident asked. 

 

Comments  

Charlestown shop owner shot during altercation

The police say they are investigating a shooting incident which occurred about 11:20 am today at Leopold and Breda streets, Charlestown during which shop owner, Jacqueline Lagnah, 55, of 83 Leopold and Breda streets, sustained two suspected gunshot injuries to her lower back.

Wave of looting shutters stores, spreads fear in Venezuela

CARACAS/SAN CRISTOBAL, Venezuela,  (Reuters) – A wave of looting by hungry mobs across Venezuela has left streets of shuttered shops in provincial towns and pushed some store owners to arm themselves with guns and machetes, stirring fear that the turmoil could spread to the capital Caracas.

NY man gets 41 years for killing Guyanese girl

Taariq Stephens (New York Daily News photo) A Brooklyn man got a 41-year maximum prison sentence yesterday for killing a 16-year-old Guyanese girl who authorities said rejected his advances.

Debutant Ngidi leads South Africa to series victory v India

PRETORIA,  (Reuters) – Debutant Lungi Ngidi took six wickets as South Africa defeated India by 135 runs to claim victory in the second test in Pretoria today and also win the series with an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match contest.

T&T judge grants injunction stopping highway project

(Trinidad Guardian) Environmental activist group Fishermen and Friends of the Sea (FFOS) has obtained an interim injunction barring the Government from continuing work on the first phase of the $400M Churchill Roosevelt Highway Extension to Manzanilla.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×