Venezuela’s Maduro slams Twitter after accounts blocked

(Reuters) – Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro yesterday said Twitter was an “expression of fascism” after accounts linked to his government were suspended, accusing the US company of persecuting his followers.

One of the Twitter accounts suspended belonged to Radio Miraflores, a station set up by Maduro that broadcasts from the presidential palace, including a salsa music programme the president hosts.

“Twitter in Venezuela today deactivated thousands of people’s accounts,” Maduro said at televised rally. “Simply for being ‘Chavistas,’” he said, using the term for followers of his predecessor, late socialist leader Hugo Chavez.

Chavez was a pioneer among politicians in the use of Twitter, gathering millions of followers and frequently announcing news on the platform. Even today, Chavez’s 4 million followers beat Maduro’s 3 million.

Maduro encouraged a pro-government journalist to publish photos of the head of Twitter in Venezuela, to show people “who was responsible for the manipulation.” It was not immediately clear if Twitter has employees in Venezuela.

Media contacts listed on Twitter’s corporate website did not return email requests for comment. The company does not list Caracas among the cities where it has international offices.

It was not clear why the accounts were suspended, or how many had been affected. Earlier, Infor-mation Minister Ernesto Villegas said 180 accounts were hit.

Villegas said the last tweet from one of the accounts @miraflores_TV, reported comments by Maduro against US Vice-President Mike Pence, made on Thursday.

Twitter’s guidelines say accounts can be suspended for abusive behaviour, security or spam, among other reasons.

Despite the strong words, Maduro encouraged his supporters to keep using the service as a way of countering online the opposition, which has taken to the streets over the past two months to demand elections, protest restrictions and complain about crippling food and medicine shortages.

“They killed thousands of accounts, if they shut down a thousand, we will open 10,000 or more with the youth,” Maduro said. “The battle on social media is very important.”

Yesterday, hundreds of opposition activists held prayer services in Caracas and other cities to oppose Maduro’s plan to rewrite the constitution, while the government held rallies in several regions to support the initiative.

The protesters have kept the pressure on the government, with clashes with security forces killing at least 72 people since April.

Maduro threatened opposition leader and former presidential candidate Henrique Capriles yesterday, saying he would sooner or later “face justice” for deaths in an earlier round of protests.

In April, authorities banned Capriles, who narrowly lost the presidential election in 2013, from holding political office for 15 years, a key factor fuelling the protests.

Comments  

NFL rallies around protesting players denounced by Trump

SOMERSET, N.J.,/WASHINGTON, (Reuters) – NFL teams staged a show of solidarity with protesting players before yesterday’s games by kneeling, linking arms or staying off the field during the U.S.

Merkel hangs on to power but bleeds support to surging far right

BERLIN,  (Reuters) – German Chancellor Angela Merkel won a fourth term in office yesterday but Europe’s most powerful leader will have to govern with a far less stable coalition in a fractured parliament after her conservatives haemorrhaged support to a surging far right.

Battered Puerto Rico hospitals on life support after Hurricane Maria

SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO,  (Reuters) – Puerto Rico’s medical services are in critical condition in the wake of Hurricane Maria.

Mexicans turn to church as earthquake death toll hits 320

MEXICO CITY,  (Reuters) – Mexicans packed churches on Sunday to pray for the victims of the country’s deadliest quake in 32 years as rescue teams searched against the odds for any survivors trapped under rubble since Tuesday’s tremor shook Mexico City and nearby states.

Kurds stick with independence vote, “never going back to Baghdad” – Barzani

ERBIL, Iraq/ISTANBUL, (Reuters) – Iraq’s Kurds will go ahead with a referendum on independence today because their partnership with Baghdad has failed, Kurdistan Regional Government President Massoud Barzani said yesterday, shrugging off international opposition to the vote.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×