Bravo out of T&T squad pending WICB meeting

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – Marquee left-hander Darren Bravo has been left out of the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force 14-man squad for this month’s Regional Super50, pending the outcome of a meeting with the West Indies Cricket Board pertaining to his disciplinary issues.

The 27-year-old was sent home by the WICB ahead of the Tri-Nations Series in Zimbabwe over a controversial tweet and has not played competitively since.

Darren Bravo

Suruj Ragoonath, the T&T Cricket Board’s chief executive, said Bravo’s participation in the January 24 to February 18 showpiece hinged on the player’s meeting.

“In furtherance to the team for the Super50, do note that Darren Bravo’s availability is dependent on the outcome of his pending meeting with the WICB,” Ragoonath said.

Bravo found himself in trouble last November when he labelled WICB president, Dave Cameron, a “big idiot” via online social networking service, Twitter, in response to the administrator’s comments which were critical of his performances.

Bravo was then sent home “due to inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour, which is contrary to his contractual obligations to the WICB” and warned that if the offending tweet was not removed, he could “face further disciplinary action, including referral to the WICB disciplinary committee.”

Media reports subsequently said Bravo would initiate legal action against the board.

Last year, Bravo played a major role in Red Force’s Super50 triumph, scoring 274 runs from three innings – including 97 in the final against Barbados Pride.

He is one of several key names missing from this year’s squad, with all-rounder Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Lendl Simmons and Samuel Badree all unavailable.

Dwayne Bravo recently underwent surgery for a hamstring injury sustained in the ongoing Australia Big Bash while Pollard, Narine and Badree are campaigning in the Twenty20 tournament Down Under.

The squad, captained by discarded West Indies wicketkeeper, includes West Indies speedster Shannon Gabriel and out-of-favour seamer, Ravi Rampaul.

Red Force, the reigning champions, will compete in Group A of the Super50 alongside Leeward Islands Hurricanes, West Indies Under-19s, Windward Islands Volcanoes and English County side, Kent Spitfires.

SQUAD – Denesh Ramdin (captain), Kyle Hope, Evin Lewis, Kjorn Ottley, Jason Mohammed, Nicholas Alexis, Roshon Primus, Ravi Rampaul, Shannon Gabriel, Khary Pierre, Jon-Russ Jaggesar, Imran Khan, Sheldon Cottrell, Rayad Emrit.

 

Comments  

Windies exit World Cup but court controversy in defeat

MOUNT MAUNGANUI, New Zealand, CMC – West Indies Under-19s’ title defence ended in shambles with a heavy 76-run defeat to South Africa Under-19s, but controversy accompanied their disappointing exit from the ICC Youth World Cup here Wednesday.

Gayle headlines Windies stars in auction

NEW DELHI, India, CMC Superstar Chris Gayle headlines several top-tier West Indies players who will join over 1 000 players in the highly anticipated Indian Premier League auction scheduled for month end.

Windies hold no fear for confident Irish

BELFAST, Ireland, CMC Two-time former 50-overs champions West Indies maybe the highest seeded side in the ICC World Cup qualifiers but they hold no terrors for minnows Ireland.

Expectation for tournament at an all-time high

With only one day remaining for the registration process of the Guinness Greatest of the Streets West Demerara/East Bank Demerara zone, approximately 24 teams have submitted their participation forms for the qualifying stages.

Top performers to use final round game to stake WI claim-Coach Crandon

Coach of the already crowned champions of the 2017/18 edition of Cricket West Indies Regional four-day first-class championships, Esaun Crandon, has suggested that there will be little tinkering to the squad set to take on the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in their final round match, which begins at the Guyana National Stadium tomorrow.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×