Lara vs Tendulkar to open Tarouba Stadium

- game set for May 13

Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar

(Trinidad Express) THE Brian Lara Stadium will officially open on May 13, and you could not dream up a more spectacular first competitive match on the cricket pitch.

The ground will host a game between an eleven led by Lara, with the opposing team led by another legend of the game Sachin Tendulkar.

The announcement was made at Thursday’s post Cabinet press conference at the Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s.

The match, according to Sport Minister Darryl Smith, will be broadcast international, regionally and locally.

Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar

Tickets will be sold to the public for the event.

Smith said a fee scheme is being worked out with the Education Ministry and the academy aims to attract the best of the country and the region. Scholarships will also be offered.

The Tarouba stadium was the brainchild of the former Patrick Mannning PNM Government. Millions of dollars have been pumped into the facility over a decade.

Last year, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley pledged to complete the stadium.

The Tarouba facility, named in honour of the historic achievements of cricketing icon Brian Charles Lara, but has long been mired in controversy.

The stadium was to be one of the venues for the Cricket World Cup 2007 but was plagued by delays and cost overruns and became one of the main projects probed by the Uff Commission of Enquiry into the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT), first called for by Rowley, who was then a PNM back-bencher.

Comments  

Tennis superstar Vickery wants to play for Guyana

Fresh from her victory over Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland (world- ranked number 35) whom she thrashed 6-2, 6-2 in the quarter-finals of this year’s ASB Classic, American world-ranked tennis player Sachia Vickery accompanied by her mother Paula Liverpool and her brother Dominique Mitchell, yesterday paid a courtesy call to Minister of Social Cohesion who is also the Minister Responsible for Sport, Dr.

Minister Norton reiterates gov’t support for sport

Minister with Responsibility for Sport Dr. George Norton yesterday reiterated his support for boxing and sport in general during a courtesy call by the top brass of the Guyana Boxing Board of Control (GBBC) and some of the combatants on the ‘Bad Blood’ card scheduled for Saturday at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall (CASH).

GFF Marketing Director resigns

The year 2018 has started badly for the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) as its Marketing Director, Dario McKinnon, has reportedly tendered his resignation.

Windies exit World Cup but court controversy in defeat

MOUNT MAUNGANUI, New Zealand, CMC – West Indies Under-19s’ title defence ended in shambles with a heavy 76-run defeat to South Africa Under-19s, but controvery accompanied their disappointing exit from the International Cricket Council (ICC) Youth World Cup here yesterday.

Beaton remains buoyant amidst scrutiny of bowling action

West Indies fast bowler Ronsford Beaton says he remains reassured even though there are suspicions about the legality of his bowling action an issue which poses a threat to his fledging career.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×