Muguruza blows away Venus to take first Wimbledon crown

LONDON, (Reuters) – Garbine Muguruza clinched a maiden Wimbledon title yesterday with a stunning demolition of Venus Williams, whose dreams of a fairytale victory at the age of 37 were blown apart in a devastating second set.

Like many a brutal demise, the end was messy and at times uncomfortable to watch as the Spaniard cut loose after tense early exchanges, winning nine straight games to crush the demoralised American 7-5 6-0.

Garbine Muguruza

It was Muguruza’s second grand slam title to add to last year’s French Open and was indisputably deserved after she absorbed everything her opponent could throw at her before taking control and inflicting a punishing triple break in the final set.

She was robbed of the picture-perfect conclusion and forced to wait as Hawk-eye was called on to confirm that a mis-hit forehand from Venus had landed out before her emotional celebrations could begin.

It was the 23-year-old’s second Wimbledon final, having lost to Venus’s sister Serena on the same stage in 2015, and her legs gave way as she fell to the ground after the decision was relayed on Centre Court’s giant scoreboards.

“Two years ago I lost in the final to Serena and she told me one day I was going to maybe win and hey, two years after here I am,” she said courtside.

Comments  

Tennis superstar Vickery wants to play for Guyana

Fresh from her victory over Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland (world- ranked number 35) whom she thrashed 6-2, 6-2 in the quarter-finals of this year’s ASB Classic, American world-ranked tennis player Sachia Vickery accompanied by her mother Paula Liverpool and her brother Dominique Mitchell, yesterday paid a courtesy call to Minister of Social Cohesion who is also the Minister Responsible for Sport, Dr.

Minister Norton reiterates gov’t support for sport

Minister with Responsibility for Sport Dr. George Norton yesterday reiterated his support for boxing and sport in general during a courtesy call by the top brass of the Guyana Boxing Board of Control (GBBC) and some of the combatants on the ‘Bad Blood’ card scheduled for Saturday at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall (CASH).

GFF Marketing Director resigns

The year 2018 has started badly for the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) as its Marketing Director, Dario McKinnon, has reportedly tendered his resignation.

Windies exit World Cup but court controversy in defeat

MOUNT MAUNGANUI, New Zealand, CMC – West Indies Under-19s’ title defence ended in shambles with a heavy 76-run defeat to South Africa Under-19s, but controvery accompanied their disappointing exit from the International Cricket Council (ICC) Youth World Cup here yesterday.

Beaton remains buoyant amidst scrutiny of bowling action

West Indies fast bowler Ronsford Beaton says he remains reassured even though there are suspicions about the legality of his bowling action an issue which poses a threat to his fledging career.

By ,

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×