Future Stars in upset win over Sparta Boss

In what can be described as the biggest upset in the tournament, emerging force Future Stars overcame Sparta Boss 7-6 to clinch their final’s berth in the ‘Keep Ya Five Alive’ Futsal Championship on Saturday.

The National Gymnasium packed to capacity, provided the ideal setting for the historic victory, as the youthful unit out-hustled their experienced foe to secure their maiden final’s appearance in a national tournament.

The match which witnessed the encroachment of the massive crowd on several occasions, reached its zenith in the second stanza, as the Future Stars mounted a comeback for the ages.

Kevin Cummings, the unofficial leader of the team, was instrumental in the second half blitz, after his side trailed 3-1 at the half time interval to goals from Gregory Richardson in the sixth and eighth minute and a Devon Millington 15th minute conversion.

Scorer of his team’s first half goal in the 10th minute, Cummings initiated the blitz with 21st minute thunderbolt into the roof of the net. This was quickly followed by a Jeremy Garrett shot in the 22nd minute into the left side to level the score at 3-3.

Gregory Richardson of Sparta Boss attempting a pass against Future Stars during their semi-final match in the GT Beer/Keep Ya Five Alive Football Championship at the National Gymnasium.

Sparta Boss responded in the form of Eusi Phillips, who controlled the ball with his chest, before unleashing an overhead volley into the top right corner in the 23rd minute to send his teams’ small but vocal supporters into a frenzy.

Millington made his presence felt once more, hammering into the roof of the net in the 25th minute to make it 5-3. The aforementioned scoreline did not deter the energetic Future Stars, who responded with aplomb one minute later through Garrett.

However it was Cummings, who sent the crowd into pandemonium, uncorking a right foot missile from the center of the field into the top right corner in the 30th minute to level the score at 5-5, sending the fixture into the extra time intervals consisting of two halves of four minutes.

The goal seemed to knock the wind out of Sparta’s sails, and with the crowd firmly in the corner of Future Stars, the venue evolved into a cauldron of taunts against the former. Curtez Kellman then sent the crowd racing onto the field in celebration, rifling a right foot effort from the center of the field into the right corner in the 44th minute to hand Future Stars the lead at 6-5.

Further misery, much to the delight of the viewership, was heaped on Sparta Boss, as the East La Penitence unit conceded their sixth foul, handing Future Stars a penalty kick opportunity in the 46th minute.

Tasked with the responsibility from the distance, Garrett made no mistake as he directed his effort into the lower right corner, strengthening his teams’ grip on the showdown.

Richardson then sent jitters into the Future Stars camp, stabbing down the center of the net in the penultimate minute.

Millington thought he had levelled the contest in the dying seconds, only to witness his right foot strike from the right side of the field, denied brilliantly by custodian Devon Charles.

With the win, Future Stars will now oppose West Front Road-Gold is Money in the finale, after the aforesaid edged Back Circle 7-5 in the earlier semi-final affair.

Hubert Pedro tallied a helmet-trick in the eighth, 11th, 33rd and 39th minute, while younger brother Randolph Wagner scored twice in the 25th and 36th minute. Adding a 10th minute conversion was Carl Tudor.

For Back Circle, rising star Jermaine Beckles recorded a hat-trick in the 15th, 19th and 30th minute, while Stephon McLean registered a double in the 13th and 37th minute.



Around the Web