Neymar signs five-year deal with Paris St. Germain

- completes 222M euros world record transfer

Neymar

MADRID,(Reuters) – Neymar completed his record-shattering transfer from Barcelona to Paris St Germain on Thursday, signing a five-year deal with the French club after they triggered his 222 million euros ($263 million) release clause.

The 25-year-old Brazil forward, who will be presented to fans on Saturday, is committed to PSG until June 2022, the club said in a statement. Media reports have said he could earn around 550,000 euros per week.

“Today, with the arrival of Neymar Jr, I am convinced that we will come even closer, with the support of our faithful fans, to realizing our greatest dreams,” said PSG President Nasser Al-Khelaifi.

Both Barcelona and Spain’s La Liga questioned whether the move complied with UEFA’s financial regulations, with the club saying they would report the deal to European football’s governing body.

The transfer doubles the previous world record fee paid when Paul Pogba moved last August from Juventus to Manchester United for a 105 million euros.

With the Spanish giants certain to be in the market for a replacement for the Brazilian forward – and with a hefty budget to invest – the Neymar move could set off a chain reaction of deals at top clubs across Europe.

Neymar said he was looking forward to delivering trophies for the French club.

“I am extremely happy to join Paris St Germain,” he said in the club’s statement.

“Since I arrived in Europe, the club has always been one of the most competitive and most ambitious. And the biggest challenge, what most motivated me to join my new team mates is to help the club to conquer the titles that their fans want.

“From today, I will do everything I can to help my new team mates, to open up new horizons for my club and to bring happiness to its millions of supporters around the world,” he said.

Barcelona said on Thursday that Neymar’s release clause had been paid.

Barca said in a statement on their website (www.barcelona.com) that Neymar’s legal representatives “visited in person the club’s offices and made the payment of 222 million euros…”

The five-times European champions said they would pass on details of the operation to European soccer body UEFA “so that they can determine the disciplinary responsibilities that may arise from this case.”

Barcelona did not specify why they believed there may be a disciplinary issue relating to the deal. Javier Tebas, head of La Liga had earlier said that PSG were engaged in “financial doping” and the Spanish body would also complain to UEFA.

Tebas referred to PSG, who are owned by Qatari Sports Investments, as a “state backed club”.

UEFA, whose financial fair play rules ban clubs from spending more than their generated revenue, declined to comment but a spokesman noted that international transfers are within the remit of global governing body FIFA.

A source from Spain’s La Liga said earlier on Thursday that the league had rejected the payment of the clause to them after Neymar’s lawyers visited its headquarters in Madrid to try to settle the transfer and pay the fee.

Comments  

Sanasie says Jaguars should be proud of performance

The Leon Johnson-led Guyana Jaguars cricket team returned home yesterday following their semifinal exit on Thursday taking a lot of positives from the Cricket West Indies (CWI) Regional Super50 tournament.

By ,

Edghill out of Commonwealth Games 

National player Chelsea Edghill will not participate in the upcoming Commonwealth Games a close associate of the Guyana Table Tennis Association (GTTA) has revealed.

AAG names six for Commonwealth Games

The Athletic Association of Guyana (AAG) has confirmed its list of athletes picked to represent the nation at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Unbeaten B/ce are title favourites

Some two weeks after the tournament was expected to conclude, the final of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB)/Dave West Indian Imports Under-15 tournament 2018 is set to take place today at the Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC) Ground, Bourda, weather permitting.

Sarwan partners with BCB for two tournaments

Former West Indies captain, Ramnaresh Sarwan and friends have decided to sponsor two tournaments in Berbice in an effort to assist the development of the game in the Ancient County.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×