Stewart’s goalkeeping error gifts Pouderoyen win

Scenes from the Riddim Squad and Pouderoyen clash in the Turbo Energy Drink Knockout Football Championship at the Ministry of Education ground, Carifesta Avenue, Thursday.

A goalkeeping error by Dorville Stewart, gifted Pouderoyen a 4-3 win over Riddim Squad when the ‘Turbo Energy Drink Knockout Football Championship’ continued Thursday at the Ministry of Education ground, Carifesta Avenue.

Locked 3-3 at the start of the second half of extra time in the round of 16 clash, Stewart misjudged a hopeful Quessey Alleyne shot from the halfway mark to start the period and the ball inexplicably sneaked through his legs and settled in the center of the net.

Prior to the 98th minute error from Stewart, Rolex Smith had handed Riddim Squad the lead in the 25th minute, slotting home after a long throw-in from the right flank landed between the centre-half pairing and into his path.

This lead was maintained heading into the half-time interval. However, Esan Nelson equalised in the 47th minute, directing his header into the left corner of the net, after receiving a left side cross.

Riddim Squad responded five minutes later through Teon Jones, who uncorked a strike from the right side of the box which sailed past the advancing goalkeeper and settled into the center of the net.

However, Pouderoyen replied in equal measure in the 69th minute when  Marvin Griffith directed his header into the centre of the net, after rising above Stewart inside the six yard area, to meet a lobbed pass from from the left side of the box.

Marvin Frank then handed Pouderoyen the lead seven minutes onward, slamming a right foot penalty kick attempt into the right side. The spot-kick was awarded for a clumsy challenge just inside the centre of the 18 yard area.

Nevertheless the contest was pushed into the extra time realm following a controversial handball infraction which resulted in Riddim Squad receiving a penalty kick in the 90th+4 minute.

Stepping up to the mark, Stewart made no mistake, placing his right foot shot into the lower right corner. The aforesaid conversion occurred after Jones was red carded in the 90th+1 minute for hurling abusive language at the official.

In another fixture, Kuru-Kururu Warriors downed Uitvlugt 2-0. Cordell Johnson and Omarion Savoury scored in the seventh and 17th minute apiece.

The event resumes November 1st at the same venue with another two matches.

The Guyana Police Force (GPF), Pele FC, Silver Shattas and Grove Hi-Tech have sealed their berths to the quarterfinal stage following wins over Eagles, Northern Rangers, GFC and Santos respectively.

The winner will receive $500,000 and the championship trophy while the runners-up will pocket $250,000 and the corresponding accolade while the third and fourth place finishers will collect $125,000 and $75,000 apiece and the respective trophy.

Complete Results



Uitvlugt-0 vs Kuru-Kururu-2

Cordell Johnson-7th

Omarion Savoury-17th


Red Card

Harmon Smith-52nd-Uitvlugt


Pouderoyen-4 vs Riddim Squad-3

Pouderoyen Scorers

Esan Nelson-47th

Marvin Griffith-62nd

Marvin Frank-69th

Quessey Alleyne-98th

Riddim Scorers

Rolex Smith-25th

Teon Jones-52nd

Dorville Stewart-90th+4

Red Card

Teon Jones-90th+1-Riddim Squad


Around the Web