First U.S. trial opens in FIFA corruption probe

Former head of Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) Jose Maria Marin, arrives for opening arguments of the FIFA bribery trial at the Brooklyn Federal Courthouse in New York, U.S., November 13, 2017. REUTERS/Darren Ornitz

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Lawyers defending three former soccer officials at trial on U.S. corruption charges strove to distance their clients from a scandal that has engulfed the sport as they delivered opening statements to jurors yesterday.

Juan Ángel Napout, formerly president of the South American soccer governing body CONMEBOL and Paraguay’s soccer federation, Manuel Burga, former president of Peru’s soccer federation and José Maria Marin, the former president of Brazil’s soccer federation are on trial in federal court in Brooklyn.

Former head of Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) Jose Maria Marin, arrives for opening arguments of the FIFA bribery trial at the Brooklyn Federal Courthouse in New York, U.S., November 13, 2017. REUTERS/Darren Ornitz

The three men are the first to stand trial since U.S. prosecutors unveiled a corruption case against soccer officials around the world more than two years ago. Of 42 people charged by U.S. prosecutors in the FIFA probe, 24 have pleaded guilty and two have been sentenced so far.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Keith Edelman told jurors that the three men were part of a conspiracy to take bribes from sports marketing companies in exchange for lucrative marketing rights to soccer tournaments, including the Copa America and Copa Libertadores.

“The defendants cheated the sport in order to line their pockets with money that should have been spent to benefit the game, not themselves,” Edelman said. The money they pocketed could have been spent by soccer organizations to build fields, buy equipment and fund women’s teams and youth leagues, he said.

None of the lawyers for the former officials denied that there was corruption in international soccer, but all told jurors that their clients had not taken part.

“This case is not about FIFA,” said Napout’s lawyer, Silvia Pinera. “It’s about one man, Juan Angel Napout, and his fight for justice.”

Pinera told jurors that the case against Napout would rely on testimony from Alejandro Burzaco, the former head of sports marketing company Torneos y Competencias. Burzaco, she said, “cut a sweetheart deal with the government and began telling stories” after he was indicted.

Burga’s lawyer, Bruce Udolf, also said he expected prosecutors to rely on cooperating witnesses who might be motivated to “get pretty doggone creative” to avoid prison.

Marin’s lawyer, Charles Stillman, likened corruption in international soccer to a children’s soccer game in which Marin did not participate.

“He was kind of like the youngster standing off to the side, picking up daisies and looking around while others are running full steam ahead,” Stillman said.

 

 

 

Comments  

Jaguars complete innings, 81 runs pounding of Red Force 

Guyana Jaguars yesterday completed a resounding innings and 81 runs victory over the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force on the final day of the Cricket West Indies (CWI) regional four-day first-class season at the Guyana National Stadium, Providence.

By ,

Trophy Stall doubles winners receive prizes

Winners of the seventh annual Trophy Stall doubles championships received their prizes last Friday at the grand Guyana Tennis Association 2017 annual Awards Ceremony.

George, Hooper named AAG male, female athletes of the year

There were no surprises as two-time Olympian Winston George and Natrena Hooper were named the Senior Male and Female Athletes-of-the-Year for 2017.

Marques gains UD win over Arias

The ascension of Dexter ‘De Kid’ Marques in the world flyweight ranks continued on Saturday night at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall.

Vickery honoured by GTA, donates equipment to players

By Noelle Smith World ranked tennis player Sachia Vickery was Friday honoured by the Guyana Tennis Association (GTA) and showed her appreciation by giving back to the GTA and a  bevy of young players through a donation of tennis equipment.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly.

We built stabroeknews.com using new technology. This makes our website faster, more feature rich and easier to use for 95% of our readers.
Unfortunately, your browser does not support some of these technologies. Click the button below and choose a modern browser to receive our intended user experience.

Update my browser now

×