The food videos—BuzzFeed’s Tasty leads the pack—that dominate social media are full of ideas, some good and some you would rather not had watched; not this one though. I saw the recipe for this ham and cheese/French toast combo on a ‘friend’s’ timeline and decided to give it a try. Ham, eggs, cheese, what’s not to like?
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cream or evaporated milk
- Vegetable oil
- 4 thick slices of artisan-style bread
- Slices of baked ham (deli style ham can work too)
- Slices of cheese (your preference; I used aged cheddar)
- Thinly sliced scallions/green onions (white purple and green parts)
- Whisk together the eggs and cream or milk in shallow dish and set aside.
- Drizzle a little oil into a frying pan and place over medium heat.
- Arrange 2 slices of bread side by side. Cover one piece of bread with ham followed by slices of cheese and top with a sprinkling of scallions/green onions; cover with the other slice of bread. Carefully hold the sandwich together and place into the egg mixture. Let sit for 1 minute, flip and let sit for 1 minute then transfer to heated frying pan. Cook until bread is brown and crusty. Carefully lift and flip with a spatula and cook until the other side is brown, crusty and the cheese melted.
- Remove from pan, cut and serve.
- Repeat with other 2 slices of bread, ham, cheese and scallions.