Kaneville machine operator died of complications from gunshot injury – autopsy

Ishwar Ramanah

Ishwar Ramanah, who passed away a month after he was shot in a home invasion, died as a result of complications from the wound he sustained, according to an autopsy done on Monday.

The examination was done on the Kaneville, East Bank Demerara man by forensic pathologist Dr. Nehaul Singh

Ramanah, a 30-year-old machine operator, was shot minutes after midnight on December 13 after armed bandits invaded his house where a birthday dinner for his wife had just finished.

During the fifteen-minute ordeal, Ramanah also known as ‘’Jack’, a father of one, was shot once in his abdomen.

He underwent a six-hour-long surgery at the GPHC and stayed in the hospital for a month before succumbing to his injuries on Saturday.

This, Ramanah’s family said, is perplexing since he was on the path to recovery. Speaking to Stabroek News on Monday, the man’s father, Hansraj Ramanah, said that the family is devastated and is finding it very hard to cope.

“We are trying to get a grip of things and I mean he did the surgery on a Thursday and a month later he’s dead. He was recuperating and talking and just like that he pulled down. The whole family is devastated and can’t cope and right now we are just waiting on the post mortem,” Hansraj said, while pointing out that the doctor from the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) had related to the family that the man had developed an infection that eventually killed him.

Currently, no one is in custody over the shooting and the police force is still questioning persons.

Recalling what had transpired, Hansraj said that two bandits, who had their jerseys wrapped around their faces, stormed his son’s home after Ramanah had finished cleaning the yard and had gone to take a bath, leaving his wife and a friend sitting in the veranda.

“She [Ramanah’s wife] said that one of them slap she up and tell she to be quiet but she continue to scream and one of them grab the friend and they had a lil fight and the friend hit one of them in his chest with a hammer and then the one of the bandit tell the other to shoot the man that was fighting but at the time he [Ramanah] was coming out of his room and the bandit shoot he instead,” Hansraj recalled.

Ramanah collapsed on the ground and one of the bandits told his accomplice that they should escape. The shooter then grabbed two chains from Ramanah before escaping along with a third bandit who was keeping watch.

Ramanah was rushed to the Diamond Diagnostic Centre where he was treated and then transferred to GPHC where he remained for a month before succumbing.

Around the Web