David Kunath, the Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company (GTT) technician who was almost electrocuted two Wednesdays ago after coming into contact with a Guyana Power and Light Inc. (GPL) transformer, is scheduled a skin graft on Monday.
Kunath, 43, was admitted to the Burn Care Unit of the Georgetown Public Hospital with severe second and third degree burns to his upper body after the mishap. He also suffered a number of fractures about his body and was bleeding in his brain.
A relative told Sunday Stabroek yesterday that while Kunath is still in a lot of pain, he is “coming around,” and is expected to undergo the surgery on Monday. The relative also noted that GTT, Kunath’s employer for the past three years, has been assisting the family throughout the entire process.
The mishap occurred just around 9 am on February 14th, when Kunath was pitched from the pole he was working on at New Garden Street, Queenstown, Georgetown, after coming into contact with the transformer belonging to GPL.
Both GTT and GPL are said to be investigating the matter.