West Coast Berbice man gets four years for wounding nephew

A  West Coast Berbice man, accused of the attempted murder of his nephew, was on Monday sentenced to four years in jail after he pleaded guilty to the lesser count of wounding with intent.

Bheem Evans, 56, of Woodley Park, West Coast Berbice, was initially charged with attempting to murder Price Ramoo, 24, a cane cutter of Lot 166 D’Edward Village, West Coast Berbice, on December 27th, 2016, at Black Wall Street, D’Edward Village.

However, after he pleaded guilty to wounding with intent, Evans was sentenced to four years by Justice Sandil Kissoon at the High Court in Berbice. Evans is already currently serving a 10-year sentence for attempted murder.

According to information gathered, on the day of the attack, Ramoo was standing at a corner along Black Wall Street when he and Evans’ son got into a misunderstanding. Subsequently, Evans turned up at the scene, armed with a knife, and he stabbed Ramoo several times.

Evans, who at the time was released on $200,000 bail for another attempted murder charge, then left the scene and returned moments later armed with a cutlass.

Ramoo hid until Evans left the scene.

Ramoo reportedly then came out of his hiding place and collapsed. He was rushed to the Fort Wellington Hospital, after which he was then transferred to the New Amsterdam Hospital, where he was admitted for some time.

In 2013, Evans was charged with murdering Jaipaul Sampooran, at Number 11 Village, West Coast Berbice.

However, that charge was dismissed in 2015. Evans claimed that he had acted in self-defence.

Evans had told investigators that he was at a wedding house when a man not known to him accused him of stealing his bicycle. A fight ensued, during which Evans lashed the man three times with a piece of wood, which resulted in the man’s death.

Later, in November, 2015, Evans was charged with attempting to murder Neil Kalamudeen at Woodley Park, West Coast Berbice. He was committed to stand trial for the attempted murder in July, 2016, by Magistrate Rhondell Weaver, at the conclusion of a Preliminary Inquiry into the charge.

In October, 2017, Evans was sentenced to 10 years in jail by Justice Jo Ann Barlow at the Berbice High Court after he pleaded guilty to wounding Kalamudeen with intent.

Around the Web